First 78910 Last

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    .. we don't want to be sensitive and politically incorrect.
    This strikes me as contradictory. If you don't want to be sensitive, then you should want to be politically incorrect. Perhaps you intended to type "correct" instead? Or perhaps "insensitive" instead of "sensitive"?
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    Well, you're correct, although I was only attempting to make a point. It is most prevalent among African groups, but it certainly isn't limited to them, in which regard you are, once again, correct.
    It's just that I recall feeling sadness and anger when talking to a young CI mother in a country town who had just had her own young daughter done. Sadness that the mother would never know the natural joy of sex of which she had been deprived, and anger that she had just imposed the same sentence on her baby.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    It may be painful, although considering the fact that it is usually performed on babies or small children, who will hardly grow up to remember the pain, it is hardly agonizing.

To my knowledge, there are no long-term negative consequences from the procedure in regards to a male's ability to both perform sexual acts and to derive pleasure from them.
    I guess, there is no pain from the mutation.

Though, I'm sure, that society, which will always degrade the minority, would inflict emotional wounds.

Males have it a lot easier, since they're subconsciously still regarded as 'dominant'.

I guess, as a male, I can't really say much to this topic. I still think that it is,I guess, 'wrong' to stop the child from being able to have sex/reproduce.

The child should have a choice in this. I mean, if I were to chop your penis (you're a guy, right?), would you try to stop me? It's that kind of thing..

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I think the answer to this would be to ask men who have chosen to have this done as an adult for religious (or other) reasons. But then again the mere fact that they had chosen to have it done may introduce unconscious bias and cause them, out of loyalty to their purpose, to say that there has been minimal effect???
    I have heard that some men in Japan do it for aesthetic purposes. Maybe best to ask them because somebody is more likely to complain about plastic surgery than a ritual to become part of a covenant with God.

I remember there was a thread on male circumcision on INTJf... many men did not care one way or the other if they were, but some were very vocal about being angry that their parents "messed with their junk" when they were born.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ

Were the men who did not object circumcised? Those who were have more reason to complain.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

What the fuck is wrong with Australia!?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have a hard time with areas like this.. Partly because I cannot, and never will, understand forced mutilation of others to accept them. Mutilation is not only the correct word, but describing it as anything less would be insulting to me.

I can't help but be bias. When societies mutilate, more often than not it is women they muss up. Time and time again I see Taboos on TV.. of women's ridiculous rights of passage, KIDS doing things that grown men and women wouldn't dare go near in my society. It's even worse when they claim it all for religion. To mutilate a female in such a way is wrong.. I just cannot think that "you must fix this flaw that I created" is in any diety's messages. Flaws are perspectives of mankind, not of Gods. We create flaws, and we strive to fix the problems we create. I think we make mistakes when we try to fix flaws that, we think, Gods have made. If there are Gods, I don't think they mess up the same way we do. Yet, we think we have sure-fire answers to fixing all the mistakes we think Gods have made. /rant

With that said.. for the sakes of these poor little girls.. I'd much rather see it in a hospital than in a backyard. I'd rather not see it at all... but I guess that's a bit idealistic of me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

"A June 2006 study by the WHO has cast doubt on the safety of genital cutting of any kind.[1] This study was conducted on a cohort of 28,393 women attending delivery wards at 28 obstetric centers in areas of Burkina Faso, Ghana, Kenya, Senegal and The Sudan. A high proportion of these mothers had undergone FGC. According to the WHO criteria, all types of FGC were found to pose an increased risk of death to the baby (15% for Type I, 32% for Type II, and 55% for Type III). Mothers with FGC Type III were also found to be 30% more at risk for cesarean sections and had a 70% increase in postpartum haemorrhage compared to women without FGC. Estimating from these results, and doing a rough population estimate of mothers in Africa with FGC, an additional 10 to 20 per thousand babies in Africa die during delivery as a result of the mothers having undergone genital cutting"

Thats a big fat no for me. The above quote is for women in childbirth who have undergone the procedure (i presume non-professionaly).

There is nothing even remotely religious that backs it, the earliest signs of it are amoungst ancient Egyptians, ironically the practise has been banned in Egypt.
    I certainly would not recommend making it legal, widespread education would be better.

*For the record I thinks it's a fucking outrageous, blatant act of Misogyny.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I remember there was a thread on male circumcision on INTJf... many men did not care one way or the other if they were, but some were very vocal about being angry that their parents "messed with their junk" when they were born.
    When pregnant with my youngest child I felt very strongly he should not be circumcisized. My husband wanted it done. We were arguing about it in the living room rather loudly when my eleven year old came in. I had just said "I dont feel there is any good reason to chop off part of a baby's penis just to fit in with a cultural norm". My 11 yo just stared and said "You cut off part of my penis???" He was horrified... The best part about being a parent is knowing you plant the seeds for future therapy.