User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

How did this evolve into a discussion about circumcision?

Comparing the removal of female sexual organs that induce pleasure to the removal of a male's foreskin due to a religious belief in "cleanliness" (it isn't true) is absurd. One is a minor inconvenience at most, while the other is used to purposely prevent females from receiving sexual pleasure, which could be considered harmful, as it does remove the possibility of that avenue of happiness.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    How did this evolve into a discussion about circumcision?

Comparing the removal of female sexual organs that induce pleasure to the removal of a male's foreskin due to a religious belief in "cleanliness" (it isn't true) is absurd. One is a minor inconvenience at most, while the other is used to purposely prevent females from receiving sexual pleasure, which could be considered harmful, as it does remove the possibility of that avenue of happiness.
    I'm certain that female circumcision is much worse both in terms of pain and "conceptually", however I would hardly call removing a highly innervated body part a "minor inconvenience"
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Wrong. There is no reference to it in the Qur'an whatsoever. Far from being a requirement, female circumcision is not even mentioned.
    I was responding to her claims that women have an "honoured" place in the Islamic world according to the teachings of the Koran, and that the extremists are simply abusing the doctrine.

It isn't true. The extremists are following what it states in the Koran, and they have the verses and passages to prove it.
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm certain that female circumcision is much worse both in terms of pain and "conceptually", however I would hardly call removing a highly innervated body part a "minor inconvenience"
    It may be painful, although considering the fact that it is usually performed on babies or small children, who will hardly grow up to remember the pain, it is hardly agonizing.

To my knowledge, there are no long-term negative consequences from the procedure in regards to a male's ability to both perform sexual acts and to derive pleasure from them.
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    As a temporary solution to little girls being subjected to excruciating pain, long term problems, etc. I really love it when people argue about the cultural preservation of this act. What the *m*therf*cking *uck :steam: It's absolutely barbaric. Uhm, this isn't western imperialism, this is very, very basic rights as a child, as a woman, as a breathing person.

I understand how it is difficult to eliminate the problem, however, and that it will take time esp. in countries with no resources to push the law into effect. So in the meantime, using a skilled doctor would be a better option than letting your grandmother do it with a piece of glass. But in impoverished areas where it is I'd assume more dominant, it wouldn't change anything.

It's funny...throughout history, countries have heartlessly colonized weaker countries left and right and don't give a shit for indigenous cultures. Now in the modern age, we don't colonize openly anymore, and we are letting this slip because we don't want to be insensitive and politically incorrect. WTF.
    .. we don't want to be sensitive and politically incorrect.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I can't be absolutely certain, but I would guess that if babies and/or young females were frequently carried to the hospital in conditions similar to those described by the link in the first post, it would be breaking news for local newspapers. Perhaps it's immigration from specific places that carried these cultural "norms", and we casually haven't been getting that.
    You'd be surprised at the amount of "urinary tract" problems and urogenital procedures that occur in young females under five in certain hospitals. Not a huge number, but more then you'd expect. Most health professionals sign confidentiality agreements. So no media involvement. And health professionals can be masters of discretion. Some thing as delicate an issue as this, you'd want them to be - reporting it to DOCS or the police isn't the same as lambasting it over the newspaper.
    Plus it's not a good idea to be explicit about some thing like that.
    Last edited by CrystalViolet; 05-29-2010 at 03:36 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    You'd be surprised at the amount of "urinary tract" problems and urogenital procedures that occur in young females under five in certain hospitals. Not a huge number, but more then you'd expect. Most health professionals sign confidentiality agreements. So no media involvement. And health professionals can be masters of discretion. Some thing as delicate an issue as this, you'd want them to be - reporting it to DOCS or the police isn't the same as lambasting it over the newspaper.
    Plus it's not a good idea to be explicit about some thing like that.
    This is not proof that these high rates of urinary tract infection are the result of increased genital mutilation.

However, you also seem to be skirting around the issue here. This is a very localized problem. It is directly a consequence of the cultural practices of certain African groups within Australia. It isn't white Australians who are mutilating the genitalia of their daughters. You make it seem as if this is a pervasive problem ingrained in every fiber of Australian society.
    —Bonaparte

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Hitler had a good thing going.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    This is not proof that these high rates of urinary tract infection are the result of increased genital mutilation.

However, you also seem to be skirting around the issue here. This is a very localized problem. It is directly a consequence of the cultural practices of certain African groups within Australia. It isn't white Australians who are mutilating the genitalia of their daughters. You make it seem as if this is a pervasive problem ingrained in every fiber of Australian society.
    Lex it is not limited to African groups. It also happens among migrants from South East Asia and the Middle East. I recall being shocked when told that it was standard practice among the otherwise gentle Muslim worker families from Christmas Island.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Lex it is not limited to African groups. It also happens among migrants from South East Asia and the Middle East. I recall being shocked when told that it was standard practice among the otherwise gentle Muslim worker families from Christmas Island.
    Well, you're correct, although I was only attempting to make a point. It is most prevalent among African groups, but it certainly isn't limited to them, in which regard you are, once again, correct.
    —Bonaparte