User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I think the answer to this would be to ask men who have chosen to have this done as an adult for religious (or other) reasons. But then again the mere fact that they had chosen to have it done may introduce unconscious bias and cause them, out of loyalty to their purpose, to say that there has been minimal effect???
    I think that is pretty likely, considering the more drastic attitude-altering effects that cognitive dissonance has had on, for example, soldiers in Abu Ghraib.

Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think the answer to this would be to ask men who have chosen to have this done as an adult for religious (or other) reasons. But then again the mere fact that they had chosen to have it done may introduce unconscious bias and cause them, out of loyalty to their purpose, to say that there has been minimal effect???
    Yeah, I've thought that in relation to this issue. Maybe for an accurate control it might be better to focus on those who had it done for purely medical reasons (it does happen, though it's relatively uncommon in adults). Obviously when they're been circumcised as babies there's no real basis for subjective comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    I think that is pretty likely, considering the more drastic attitude-altering effects that cognitive dissonance has had on, for example, soldiers in Abu Ghraib.
    Shhh! Cognitve Dissonance is Victor's mating call, it might attract him to the thread!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post

Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Interesting term isn't it - though I am surprised that Stockholm Syndrome is not among the cited examples.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

male circumcision could be as barbaric as female circumcision if they used this device...

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Although, apparently, male and female circumcision are quite different in their effects. You need to keep in mind that the clitoris is like a gajillion times more sensitive than the penis.
    Let's not go overboard.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

O_O that's crazy! How's possible there's so many genital-mutilation practitioners in Australia? We have a relatively large immigrant population in my town, but this kind of thing doesn't happen?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

I've pretty much already said everything I have to say regarding FGM, its equivalence (or relative lack thereof) with male circumcision, and its relation (or lack thereof) with traditional schools of Islamic law on this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...utilation.html

But to reiterate, I think comparing FGM to male circumcision is erroneous and counter-productive.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Many health professionals now argue the case for male circumcision here as a means to reduce risk of disease including STDs
    Lol @ this kind of stuff. Check STD statistics for european countries, where basically nobody is circumcised - they're no more no less worse (or better) than those of any other developed country. Any form of circumcision (excepting people with foreskin troubles, ofcourse) is a barbaric & backwards religious practice.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    O_O that's crazy! How's possible there's so many genital-mutilation practitioners in Australia? We have a relatively large immigrant population in my town, but this kind of thing doesn't happen?
    Are you absolutely certain it doesn't? It is not likely that those practising this will advertise the fact.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Are you absolutely certain it doesn't? It is not likely that those practising this will advertise the fact.
    I can't be absolutely certain, but I would guess that if babies and/or young females were frequently carried to the hospital in conditions similar to those described by the link in the first post, it would be breaking news for local newspapers. Perhaps it's immigration from specific places that carried these cultural "norms", and we casually haven't been getting that.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp