User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    I guess...

but I never grew wisdom teeth, so technically it did evolve out... <.<
    Then go and reproduce! Have lots of children, quickly!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Then go and reproduce! Have lots of children, quickly!
    I don't have wisdom teeth either.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't have wisdom teeth either.
    Go mate with Blair.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    It originated with 19th century puritanicalism and a desire to discourage masturbation, and has since then been perpetuated by dubious and unsubstantiated claims of medical benefits, and cultural continuity.
    Just for clarity let me note that I don't believe that actual puritans circumcised their children. It was some other group of protestants that started this. I believe that part of the reason the puritans didn't do this was because they felt that physical circumcision might take away from the understanding of the figurative use of circumcision by Paul... that is Christ circumcising our hearts by cutting away the sin.

Plus Paul clearly states christians don't need to be circumcised.

There are some health benefits though minimal. I used to do personal care and I've seen an infected uncircumcised penis... not cool. Of course basic personal hygiene would prevent any infections.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Whomever thinks this is akin to removing the foreskin from a boy's penis should realize it's much more akin to cutting the head off of the penis along with the foreskin.
    In the context of what they are looking at allowing, it can be comparable.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    What is that, exactly?

I'm getting mixed reports... does a 'ritual nick' damage or remove any tissue? Nerves?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I'm sorry, but no it's not, in terms of physical damage and long-term consequences. A man who has been circumcized can still enjoy sex and have an orgasm. A "circumcized" female is crippled for life in terms of being able to fully enjoy sex or properly orgasm. There are no health or hygeine benefits to it - it's used as a device for controlling women from seeking sexual relations with other men so that they are reduced to property.

I stated that in no way was I promoting male circumcision, and I have actually thought about the barbarism of that practice as well. However, you simply cannot say that the two things are equal in terms of physical damage and long-term consequences both physically and psychologically, because they are not.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Many health professionals now argue the case for male circumcision here as a means to reduce risk of disease including STDs. That being said, when I was a child my cousin died as a result of blood poisoning after a botched circumcision when he was only 10 days old.
    Ugh... speaks for itself regarding the safety of the proceedure... I'm not at all convinced by the suggestion that it would bring significant health benefits either: if this is based on the same studies as I remember hearing of a few years ago, they were founded on observations of circumcised vs uncircumcised men in Africa, who were likely to be highly promiscuous and not using contraception. It wouldn't be surprising if in those circumstances the circumcised men had slightly lower std contraction rates, as the desensitisation of the glans in circumcised men results in thickened skin in that region and less blood supply near the surface, therefore less opportunity for infection.

What this doesn't take into account is whether this model is relevant in the context of Western society, the fact that male-female transmission may be more likely in circumcised men, certainly if the woman is not fully aroused, due to the likelihood of increased friction and abrasion, and the fact that we should probably be encouraging people to be more, not less, responsible for their sexual behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    The relativity of the two types of circumcision, male and female, bear little in common except for the description circumcision and the fact that they are performed on genitalia.
    I'm not so sure about this, though the female version as practiced is generally more severe in its effects. In both cases the effect is to desensitise and reduce sex drive to some extent. This is usually going to be much more severe in the circumcised woman, depending on the nature of the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The only thing it really did is make the dick the most well-moisturized part on men's bodies, didn't it?
    Eh, sorry, did you have one again to be able to judge the difference?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Marm, have you even looked into what they're proposing?

I don't agree with allowing it one bit but it's not something that would result in crippling the female for life, that's what they want to stop, they're just going about it the wrong way if they suggest legalising a ritual nick is the best answer.

Legalising a ritual nick may be a good approach to take in countries where GMC is common and accepted practice, in countries like Australia however, where I'm sure the overwhelming majority consider it immoral and a form of abuse I can't see how legalising a "nick" for the sake of new immigrants is taking positive steps forward, what it does is create a slippery slope for doctors to do more than just the most minimal of nicks and more importantly imo, it continues the embrace of a custom that should not be continued so future generations will still perform the ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    What is that, exactly?

I'm getting mixed reports... does a 'ritual nick' damage or remove any tissue? Nerves?
    A ritual nick is supposed to be along the lines of taking a pin and drawing a drop of blood.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post

I'm not so sure about this, though the female version as practiced is generally more severe in its effects. In both cases the effect is to desensitise and reduce sex drive to some extent. This is usually going to be much more severe in the circumcised woman, depending on the nature of the operation.
    I think the answer to this would be to ask men who have chosen to have this done as an adult for religious (or other) reasons. But then again the mere fact that they had chosen to have it done may introduce unconscious bias and cause them, out of loyalty to their purpose, to say that there has been minimal effect???
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown