User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    That's how outdated it is

Actually that's when it was last used, it was banned state by state and officially removed everywhere by 1980.
    1980 sounds more like it. There's a difference between usage and being removed as an option. The last time a US soldier was executed for desertion was in the Civil War, I do not think it was completely eradicated as an option until about a hundred years later.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity
    I am certainly not unhappy that Capital Punishment is no longer on the table here.
    Either you're for capital punishment, or your against, you can't pick the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You need to keep in mind that the clitoris is like a gajillion times more sensitive than the penis.
    That a fact?

Seems to me that both practices are done for religious beliefs, and both practices are totally unnecessary and run the risk of causing serious damage. Difference is male circumcision is seen as pretty acceptable, maybe because the Jewish culture is more influential in Western society, maybe because it's not so blatant in attempting to keep the child "pure" until marriage. Taking the more extreme forms of FGM out of it, I think it's an exposure thing more than anything that makes one acceptable while the other clearly isn't.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

It's interesting that male circumcision is still something of a cultural norm in the secular and Christian US (although becoming less widespread) for reasons which have no connection with religion at all. It originated with 19th century puritanicalism and a desire to discourage masturbation, and has since then been perpetuated by dubious and unsubstantiated claims of medical benefits, and cultural continuity.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENFJ

That a fact?
    Yes it is a fact, actually. The clitoris is the most sensitive organ in the human body. Next most sensitive organ is the tongue. Do not think of cutting off a foreskin, think instead of cutting out a tongue.

I have heard some complaints about male circumcision but I've never heard of a loss of sexual interest.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Either you're for capital punishment, or your against, you can't pick the circumstances.
    I am sorry I wasn't clear - I am absolutely against it! Tit for tat revenge is not my idea of Justice. I do think sometimes tho that our justice system is more caring of the rights of criminals than the safety of the public.

That a fact?

Seems to me that both practices are done for religious beliefs, and both practices are totally unnecessary and run the risk of causing serious damage. Difference is male circumcision is seen as pretty acceptable, maybe because the Jewish culture is more influential in Western society, maybe because it's not so blatant in attempting to keep the child "pure" until marriage. Taking the more extreme forms of FGM out of it, I think it's an exposure thing more than anything that makes one acceptable while the other clearly isn't.
    Many health professionals now argue the case for male circumcision here as a means to reduce risk of disease including STDs. That being said, when I was a child my cousin died as a result of blood poisoning after a botched circumcision when he was only 10 days old.

The relativity of the two types of circumcision, male and female, bear little in common except for the description circumcision and the fact that they are performed on genitalia.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    It originated with 19th century puritanicalism and a desire to discourage masturbation, and has since then been perpetuated by dubious and unsubstantiated claims of medical benefits, and cultural continuity.
    The only thing it really did is make the dick the most well-moisturized part on men's bodies, didn't it?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Remove custody of child, jail/fines/etc. for the parents and, if possible, the butcher as well (if not one and the same)

The only thing it really did is make the dick the most well-moisturized part on men's bodies, didn't it?
    Don't you think it would have evolved away if it was really a problem?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Don't you think it would have evolved away if it was really a problem?
    Not necessarily. Look at wisdom teeth and appendixes.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Not necessarily. Look at wisdom teeth and appendixes.
    I guess...

but I never grew wisdom teeth, so technically it did evolve out... <.<
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is entirely barbaric, and is a means of controlling females. Whomever thinks this is akin to removing the foreskin from a boy's penis should realize it's much more akin to cutting the head off of the penis along with the foreskin.

EDIT: That is not to say that I necessarily promote male circumcision, I'm just pointing out that it's not quite the same thing.