User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Legally preformed is better than illegally preformed for reasons of health, but not preformed at all would be signifigantly better
    This sounds familiar... just sayin'
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

lol... that had crossed my mind... but a different matter (though I still think that the decisions should always be left to the woman in question in both cases!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

lol... that had crossed my mind... but a different matter (though I still think that the decisions should always be left to the woman in question in both cases!)
    Hmmm... It's been a while since I read up on this, but if I recall this procedure while often advocated by mothers may be viewed as a result of a paternalistic and misogynist view of female sexuality.

Don't get me wrong. I'm generally in strong favor of parental rights over children. But, there has to be some sort of line drawn between a parent's power to practice cultural tradition and physical abuse.

Curious though, what's your view on spanking?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Legally preformed is better than illegally preformed for reasons of health, but not preformed at all would be signifigantly better
    Eh, not necessarily. There is another thread going around talking about the recent changes allowing US doctors to perform a "small nick" so immigrant families don't take their daughters back to Africa for the procedure, the study shows that in countries where it is legal the practice continues in following generations, in countries where it is criminalised it doesn't. Legal may have its health benefits in terms of hygiene but it's not necessarily better when you consider the impact that it has in the long run.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm looking at lives saved in the present... education on the matter and changing the social dynamics might help in the future, but I don't want anyone to die now
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I'm looking at lives saved in the present... education on the matter and changing the social dynamics might help in the future, but I don't want anyone to die now
    Then educate and help, don't legalise.

It looks like the AAP has already reversed their position of allowing that small nick that they approved of in April.

UPDATE: United States: AAP withdraws statement on FGM | Women Living Under Muslim Laws

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'd still rather it occur in a sanitary environment... I've read horror stories

it's a horrible practice, but still, no more dead people

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

WHAT?

I live in Australia, currently doing a High Resolves Program with UNIFEM to support women's rights, and try to rid of these things..

This is seriously sick. If Australia DOES approve, I'll feel like...urrgh.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I can see both sides of the argument....but you've got to feel for the girls who end up having to go under many procedures just to fix up a mess. I can't quite see the problem of female circumcision going away just yet, or for many generations yet.
    If I had to choose a side though, I guess it would be to keep it illegal, and start prosecuting health professionals who don't report it. The practise is never going to cease, if health professional don't start acting from their conscience. Suspected sexual abuse has to be reported, this comes under the same category IMHO.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, I feel that it is needless to say that this proposal is being pushed almost exclusively due to the cultural influence of non-European Australian immigrants, but it clearly is.

Now, while I find the practice barbaric and contemptible, it will be interesting to see how the Australian leftist front responds to the issue. On the one hand, they are prompted by their ideology to protect the rights of immigrants and respect their cultural practices for the sake of diversity, while on the other, they must surely find this law to be against their humanist stance due to the fact that it could be interpreted as condoning the practice, which is a cruel human rights abuse...or something along those lines.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte