veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I hate that so many of us ignore the first two words in the guarantee of "pursuit of happiness".

I hate that so many of us continue to enjoy the benefits of living here and yet always seem like they're trying to impress someone with their worldliness by consistently assuming that America is on the wrong side of every argument.

I hate that so many of us continue to enjoy the benefits of living here and yet deny their nationality when traveling overseas.

I hate that the exorbitant cost of pursuing public office results in private business dictating law.

I hate that we have evolved into people who are our politics first and American second.

I hate that what is considered acceptable profit and personal compensation has exponentially risen at the expense of the middle class and poor.

I hate that politicians judge the merit of an idea based on who proposed it.

Most of all, I hate that people don't realize America is an idea as much as a nation. It's going to be flawed and it's going to be kicked back and forth by the alternating parties that take power, and it's going to make mistakes. But as long as we keep in mind the principles we were founded on and strive to meet them, we're not beyond redemption.
    Major BRAVO to all of this post.

I would say the thing I hate the most about the USA is not unique to the USA. It's the belief that someone else should be responsible for rescuing you from your own mistakes in life.

The specific way I've seen this in the US is things like people's reactions to stuff like Hurricane Katrina where people blamed the president for people not getting the hell out of town when a hurricane was coming and not being able to wave a magic wand to rescue everybody. I have a feeling people in Asia that have seen Tsunamis blow through were probably laughing at us then. Those people did what they had to do and likely didn't spend much time bitching about the government not bailing them out.

I see it all the time in my job too as people walk off the job and then come back and want us to fill out their paperwork so they can get welfare or unemployment and then try to claim we are heartless or racist or whatever because we don't fill it out so their kid is going to starve. You had a JOB moron, and I didn't force you to walk off the job and leave somebody else to do your work as well as theirs. The people who had to cover for you should be the ones getting some sort of benefits, not you.

You can call me lazy, fat, unmotivated, privileged, disorganized, forgetful, clumsy, uneducated, ignorant, gluttonous, cowardly, etc. I won't likely argue with anybody on those points. But the one thing I am proud that you cannot accurately say about me is that I expect someone else to be responsible for me. I take my own actions, I face whatever rewards or consequences come about because of them, and I don't waste my time blaming others for my mistakes or crying about "unfairness" or "intolerance" or "inequality" or any of that when things don't go my way. I simply adapt to what is thrown my way and make the best of it as much as I can.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    There is something not quite right on the collective level.
    Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be a problem with people in general.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm usually about half commie, but I have to agree with some of what Jeffster says. Monday my husband's company did a conference call with all their drivers (they were getting paid for a half hour for just participating). The company's primary contract is with General Motors, which has had well- publicized (I thought) difficulties.

The trucking company was able to renew their contract with GM recently -- giving their drivers 3 more years of probable job security. During the recession, they haven't cut wages, they haven't laid people off, and they have provided excellent health care benefits at a reasonable price. Some of the dealerships have closed due to GM's difficulties, so drivers aren't going to be getting paid for stops they are no longer making (reasonably enough, IMO) and freight has been down, so they have started carrying a wider variety of items.

Drivers repeatedly asked about and complained about not getting raises and not getting paid extra for the additional items to be delivered. When it became clear that raises were not on the table, many drivers disconnected from the call.

My husband and I were shocked by this behavior. This company has, in our experience, been a very fair company to work for. They have looked out for employees interests amazingly well under the circumstances. The health insurance alone is exceptional. I know the company doesn't do what it does from the kindness of their hearts, but still . . . where have these guys been the past few years that they don't know how good they've got it?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be a problem with people in general.
    Yes.. I was thinking about this.. and Canadians have collective issues as well. I have also spent a considerable amount of time living in the UK and would definitely say they have collective issues too.
    SO I think I can safely assume this is a worldwide phenomena.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I hate Febreeze! And the fact that everything in the US is being sprayed over and over with FEBREEZE! It has to be the most horrible product ever made, and it smells horrendous.

Make it stop.

Sniffles

I get really irritated with how Americans often assume everybody wants to hear their life stories, and thus will talk at top of their voices when in public places.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

but that makes it easier for me to eavesdrop!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Sniffles

Yeah well I don't need to know the details of Sally's last period, nor do I even want to.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    but that makes it easier for me to eavesdrop!
    WORD. Get your entertainment where you can, right? I think it's sad that people don't seem to cherish the concept of privacy anymore, like finding appropriate places to have phone conversations, and perhaps refraining from giving commentary on every little thing - just because they could say something doesn't mean they should. Enshrining personal whims over the group well-being. SO, with that said, if you stand in a public place and shout a conversation over a cell phone, then I get to listen.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ugh... yeah, that's unnecissary eavesdroppage... I prefer to hear people bitching about the shortcomings of the mayor and such like I get to hear on the bus
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett