User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It's very true. Like sibling privileges.

"At home, me against my brother. In the house, me and my brother against our cousins. In the village, me, my brother, my cousins against our neighbors. Outside, me, my brother, my cousins and our neighbors against the whole world."

though, this is just human nature, I think. The difference is that the US is more visible than your little village, so more people will have opinions that those within don't want them to have.
    Yes, the U.S has an effect on all of us. Not just a small one, either.
    If it's in our front lawn every day, we get to have an opinion.
    Just like someone gets to have an opinion if the neighbor does something stupid that has an effect on the whole neighborhood.
    Or something good. Which is all subjective, anyway... Arfgh.

Like the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. I agree completely that the Taliban must be crushed, just like the Barbary states had to be put the hell down back in the day.
    You did that gallantly. You're fighting bravely in Afghanistan against an enemy of the entire western world.
    Iraq I do not agree with. That's filthy, greedy business. Just because Saddam decided to change the oil sell currency to the Euro rather than the dollar.
    It can leave you with the impression, too, that they didn't think much.
    But in fact that act would have created a domino effect, toppling the dollar over.
    The Euro would have gone skyrocketing as nations worldwide changed the sell currency to it, the only other viable option.
    The dollar would have been devalued by God knows how much.

I understand the lashing out part, from the U.S point of view.
    But in a way, it is only trying to prevent something inevitable.
    The real power could have been gained through technological superiority.
    Now you're misinterpreting me. Read: developing alternative fuels instead of being controlled by oil lobbyists.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Dali

I wouldn't say hate but I do take a bit of a dislike to those of your countrymen that believe brashness to be synonymous with confidence and make a concerted effort to appear larger-than-life.

Kindly ask them to chill out.

I hate that so many of us ignore the first two words in the guarantee of "pursuit of happiness".

I hate that so many of us continue to enjoy the benefits of living here and yet always seem like they're trying to impress someone with their worldliness by consistently assuming that America is on the wrong side of every argument.

I hate that so many of us continue to enjoy the benefits of living here and yet deny their nationality when traveling overseas.

I hate that the exorbitant cost of pursuing public office results in private business dictating law.

I hate that we have evolved into people who are our politics first and American second.

I hate that what is considered acceptable profit and personal compensation has exponentially risen at the expense of the middle class and poor.

I hate that politicians judge the merit of an idea based on who proposed it.

Most of all, I hate that people don't realize America is an idea as much as a nation. It's going to be flawed and it's going to be kicked back and forth by the alternating parties that take power, and it's going to make mistakes. But as long as we keep in mind the principles we were founded on and strive to meet them, we're not beyond redemption.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    I wouldn't say hate but I do take a bit of a dislike to those of your countrymen that believe brashness to be synonymous with confidence and make a concerted effort to appear larger-than-life.

Kindly ask them to chill out.
    I generally brashly tell them to chill out

and everyone else's country is just as at fault for globalization and that the US has such an effect... except those that are occupied, but that's another matter

I was amused by how shocked people were where I was in Brazil that I was interested in their culture and their food and their language... I think that the fact that I was an American and didn't fall into their preconceived notion of "what Americans are like" definitley ended up changing some views... that was awesome
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Sniffles

Gotta love the johnny-come-latelies who love lecturing everybody on who are "real Americans". :rolli:

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    then do something about it or gtfo
    Oh, I will certainly play my little part. It won't be the preferred way, at all, but it will be enough, maybe.

We will see.

sitting around with your thumbs up your ass won't make things any happier...
    I've yet to stick anything up my anus, and I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

I have an idea about how to make things better, but it involves a 'Pheonix from the ashes', type scenario. You wouldn't like it.

To human stupidity! :sips wine:
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Gotta love the johnny-come-latelies who love lecturing everybody on who are "real Americans". :rolli:
    my family has been here since the 1620s... and the other part since people migrated over the Bering Strait

and to MM... so... do you have a plan? otherwise whining is pointless

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    my family has been here since the 1620s... and the other part since people migrated over the Bering Strait
    And? I wasn't asking about your family history, in fact I wasn't talking to you.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I like everybody... except haters without a plan

I'm not a jonny come lately really