User Tag List

First 192728293031 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I hate all this hate.
    This is going to be the longest thread on the board soon.

I would say save it for Festivus and then wrastle ol' America to the ground like how normal people air their grievances, but I think most here would find that holiday too "young".
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ

Its not surprising that venting frustration against America is popular . I’m looking forward to being over there next week though. I always enjoy visiting, despite what opinions I've said about a certain 'type' of American, and unfortunately you get idiots everywhere, especially in my own country.

I agree that the US long wanted to destroy the British Empire. Of course the Americans always got annoyed when the British claimed that the Monroe Doctrine technically should exclude Britain as we controlled Canada at the time, thus making Britain a North American Power. In 1812 they failed rather miserably when they realised that Canada did not want to join the USA, and then the British burned Washington to the ground. Jefferson hadn’t helped the situation by his own brand of Anglophobia, boycotting British goods etc. The impressments of American sailors, that was apparently the main cause of the war had already been dealt with by the time Madison declared it, the message had just arrived too late.

As to the fact that 'everyone' hated the Empire I'm not sure that is really correct. To be fair most of the nations in the world were under British control so we could count on many of them, not just the White settler colonies as well. In British Borneo and Malaya, large portions of the west indies and even parts of Africa still had considerable admiration and support of the Empire, particularly before the second world war. Japan had been a firm admirer until the Americans forced us to brake our alliance (in some degree out of American racial prejudice) in the1920's. As for other European countries, on one side Norway greatly admired the Empire for helping them out during the war, and then on the other of course Hitler's own Anglophilia and many in the Nazi party is well documented. Not that this is a particularly palatable part of our history, but we can't help who admired the British Empire.

MBTI
    ENFJ

We refused to stand idly by while our Canadian brethren were being oppressed! Even if they didn't know they were being oppressed, they were totally being oppressed. Seriously.

Or so the story goes.

And America has no admirers.

P.S. it was the Canadians who burned down Washington.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I don't hate America. How can you hate anything that makes you laugh so much?
    Sometimes laughter has made me hate something more.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Stol11 View Post
    As to the fact that 'everyone' hated the Empire I'm not sure that is really correct. To be fair most of the nations in the world were under British control so we could count on many of them, not just the White settler colonies as well. In British Borneo and Malaya, large portions of the west indies and even parts of Africa still had considerable admiration and support of the Empire, particularly before the second world war. Japan had been a firm admirer until the Americans forced us to brake our alliance (in some degree out of American racial prejudice) in the1920's. As for other European countries, on one side Norway greatly admired the Empire for helping them out during the war, and then on the other of course Hitler's own Anglophilia and many in the Nazi party is well documented. Not that this is a particularly palatable part of our history, but we can't help who admired the British Empire.
    That's an interesting way of framing it. From what I've read, the locals never really "liked" it as much as tolerated a condition they could do nothing about. The Japanese situation was not so much about Americans forcing a break in relations, as much as the recognizance of the UK as a competing colonial power in East Asia, and an obstacle to Japanese expansionist goals. Hitler admired the English as fellow Germanic Aryans, and demonstrative of the master race status he believed in.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I hear that Native Americans are big fans of reservations too.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Actually, you know what, forget 1812. The American perspective of the war is so scattered and confusing that most glaze over it, but if you really look at it it looks like a drunken brawl with everyone loosing a few teeth and then claiming they won afterwards, even though they were all so drunk they have no idea.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Actually, you know what, forget 1812. The American perspective of the war is so scattered and confusing that most glaze over it, but if you really look at it it looks like a drunken brawl with everyone loosing a few teeth and then claiming they won afterwards, even though they were all so drunk they have no idea.
    Pretty Much this.

I notice the battle of New Orleans wasn't being brought up but the capture of DC was.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    EVERYONE hated the British Empire...
    We loved the British Empire. You only have to read the primary documents to see that.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    And yes, we're an empire. You pretty much qualify as soon as you're allowed to station troops in purportedly sovereign states.
    There are all kinds of empires. There are military empires. There are territorial empires. And there are religious empires. However the USA is a mercantile empire.

This is invisible to most and so they focus on what they can see and that is between 600 and 1,000 overseas military bases.

But the USA mercantile empire flies beneath the radar. The USA mercantile empire is a stealth empire.

The American empire is invisible, particularly to Americans, and this is its power.