User Tag List

First 172526272829 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    There was a very good reason for that... it was so that judges would have no temptation to render a decision based on its popularity.
    ...if you think the courts are supposed to be countermajoritarian

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    I hate that Hollywood is lens by which the world views American citizens.
    I echo this. Is it a joke that the world does this? Some kind of sick riddle? Of all things to pay attention to, why Hollywood...?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    There was a very good reason for that... it was so that judges would have no temptation to render a decision based on its popularity.
    Actually, that really isn't a good explanation.

The desire to keep judges from being ruled by majority opinion is the reason that they get appointed instead of elected, and then never get appointed again. It does not explain why the judges are appointed for life.

I think the happy solution here would be to have the judges appointed, as approved by the legislature of course, to ONE term. This way, they don't stay in for life, but since they can't get another term, those no reason for them to be vulnerable to political bribes.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I echo this. Is it a joke that the world does this? Some kind of sick riddle? Of all things to pay attention to, why Hollywood...?
    Hollywood is the greatest and most successful propaganda system the world has ever seen.

And the first rule of propaganda is not to believe your own propaganda. But Hollywood is not even seen in the USA as propaganda, and so with disbelief suspended, it is very easy to believe.

And the second rule is that propaganda can only be beaten with other propaganda. And so the USA made sure to destroy our movie industry so we couldn't make our own propaganda. Why do you think our movie stars and directors have to work in Hollywood?

And the third rule is that propaganda is neither true nor false, only plausible or implausible. And there is no good or bad publicity, only publicity.

And the fourth rule is never challenge assumptions. Propaganda leaves that to Socrates and instead plays out our fantasies.

Hollywood is based on money and belief, the cornerstone of the USA, for In God We Trust.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    I hate that we're constantly bombarded internationally with comments suggesting that we should elect more government control over our lives, while forgetting that the American government is almost entirely the reason that other nations hate/distrust/mock us.
    They want us to elect more government to inflict upon us the same torture that our government inflicts upon them.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think the happy solution here would be to have the judges appointed, as approved by the legislature of course, to ONE term. This way, they don't stay in for life, but since they can't get another term, those no reason for them to be vulnerable to political bribes.
    That reminds me.

I hate that term limits were only imposed on the president. Term limits should be imposed on every level of government.

MBTI
    ENFJ

What I hate most is that all Americans are STRAW MEN

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Lots of Soviet T-4s were built with steel from Pittsburgh mills, among other steel towns.

Throwing a raw, young group of men, most of which who hadn't ever seen a man killed, against an army of battle-hardened veterans? Of course they're at a disadvantage. That's not incompetence, it's reality: war is really, really traumatic.

The UK economy suffered because it couldn't afford to maintain the Empire anymore, and the British Metropole didn't have enough in the way of natural resources to meet the demands of the population. This was the proximate cause outside of any efforts by the US.

I may point out I know all of what you have just said, I said that the US was crucial or certainly the tipping point for victory. What I get annoyed about is the way it is portrayed in the popular media and I was merely pointing out that the actions of the US government was anything but selfless.

As to the question of tanks, the fact that the Soviet's won Stalingrad and started pushing back the German forces was only partially to do with American equipment. Admittedly a good proportion, maybe even about half the tanks were US made (by the end of the war), but it was sheer numbers of troops, as well as a lot of their own tanks produced in the newly created industry of central asia as well as Zhukov’s Generalship that contributed to the victory. US aid was a crucial but only one of several crucial factors.

As to the question of what I termed 'incompetence'. I was again playing the American media at its own game. The way most Americans see the war is that they waltzed in (late as usual) and won it single headedly. I was using an example of how this was certainly not the case, I think the veteran factor can also be overstated, even the Germans were surprised they won that battle (Kasserine Pass) considering how low on supplies etc they were.

The last point about Britain’s financial position after the war WAS directly affected by the actions of the US. The US was determined to break the Empire open when it was in its most vulnerable state, when the UK was in need of aid. They didn't just give aid, they attempted to profit from it. Currency convertibility and determination to break the Empire bloc had been a US objective since the Atlantic Charter and the Bretton Woods conference. Both of these things helped decimate the UK economy. It went under the USA's ideological commitment to 'right of sovereignty' but it also conveniently gave the US, on its own, huge monetary benefits as it could exploit markets of an exhausted ''ally''.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stol11 View Post
    The last point about Britain’s financial position after the war WAS directly affected by the actions of the US. The US was determined to break the Empire open when it was in its most vulnerable state, when the UK was in need of aid. They didn't just give aid, they attempted to profit from it. Currency convertibility and determination to break the Empire bloc had been a US objective since the Atlantic Charter and the Bretton Woods conference. Both of these things helped decimate the UK economy. It went under the USA's ideological commitment to 'right of sovereignty' but it also conveniently gave the US, on its own, huge monetary benefits as it could exploit markets of an exhausted ''ally''.
    If what I've read is true, then it was the USA's plan much longer than that...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't hate America. How can you hate anything that makes you laugh so much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.