User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I woke up this morning, and a thought came to me about the USA/China pollution, thing.

I said this in my first post:

And then I remembered that a major chunk of China's pollutant production is to make things for the USA.

China and America are like these hideous, symbiotic entities.

And a chunk of America's pollution is for making things for other countries.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

Merc, merc... this is like the "Three-Minute Hate" thread. It's supposed to be egregious. Let it go, or you'll be the next Emmanuel Goldstein!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And a chunk of America's pollution is for making things for other countries.
    A much, much smaller percentage. Aside from the fact that our production does not compare to our consumption, there's just generally the fact that the USA's whole industrial sector has wasted away. Our agriculture is odd, too... it's alive by different means. But that's no good either, as most of our agriculture is produced just for us, and we WASTE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is because it's tied up with entertainment. If it were separate from entertainment, if news media had different motivations, perhaps the public would be better informed.
    I was reading a book recently that showed that nations with public broadcasting (whether it is exclusively public, or competing with private) had more informed citizens. And by public broadcasting, I don't mean like PBS, I mean something heavily funded and promoted by a government.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

I was reading a book recently that showed that nations with public broadcasting (whether it is exclusively public, or competing with private) had more informed citizens. And by public broadcasting, I don't mean like PBS, I mean something heavily funded and promoted by a government.
    Oh, cool... you mean like Central America has all those "Voice of America" broadcasts on shortwave.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Oh, cool... you mean like Central America has all those "Voice of America" broadcasts on shortwave.
    That is government funded, but an entirely different thing from what I was talking about. I'm sure you know that.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Apparently 1/3rd of all US acres are planted for export. I do not know how much that translates into how much is actually exported, but eh.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Oberon

That is government funded, but an entirely different thing from what I was talking about. I'm sure you know that.
    Yes... and I was pointing out that government-funded media is always propagandistic to a greater or lesser degree. I'm sure you know that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yes... and I was pointing out that government-funded media is always propagandistic to a greater or lesser degree. I'm sure you know that.
    How would you propose we create a media source that is highly informative with a very low amount of propaganda?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

I hate the sugar import laws! It's ridiculous that a country that consumes such a ridiculous amount of sugar has to produce 80% of its own, when the only place that can produce it is Hawaii. This is how we end up with all this weird high fructose crap anyway. It's an outdated policy.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    How would you propose we create a media source that is highly informative with a very low amount of propaganda?
    Why, I propose we start Radio Lateralus, a chartered nonprofit 501c3 organization. We can raise the money with a bake sale.