User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I wish the US media weren't so misinformative.

I wish Colbert and Stewart weren't many people's primary source for political info.

I wish criminal penalties were more severe.

I wish that people weren't so soft.

I wish getting around in the US weren't so car-dependent.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    and here we have an excellent illustration of what is wrong with not only our justice system but society as a whole- an emphasis more on punishment or "justice" than reducing recidivism and/ or rehabilitation or keeping crime from happening in the first place.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    and here we have an excellent illustration of what is wrong with not only our justice system but society as a whole- an emphasis more on punishment or "justice" than reducing recidivism and/ or rehabilitation or keeping crime from happening in the first place.
    they'll have more meetings with rehab shrinks when they are there for more years
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I wish the US media weren't so misinformative.
    This is because it's tied up with entertainment. If it were separate from entertainment, if news media had different motivations, perhaps the public would be better informed.

I wish Colbert and Stewart weren't many people's primary source for political info.
    Your bias is showing. You should have included all television news shows, because Colbert and Stewart are just about as informative and MSNBC and Fox News.

P.S. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report aren't popular because they're (comedy) news shows. They're popular because people are entertained, just like some people like looking at the blond airhead anchors on other news shows.

For all crimes? If not, you should be more precise.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is because it's tied up with entertainment. If it were separate from entertainment, if news media had different motivations, perhaps the public would be better informed.

Your bias is showing. You should have included all television news shows, because Colbert and Stewart are just about as informative and MSNBC and Fox News.

For all crimes? If not, you should be more precise.
    I am aware of the bias Though, imo, Stewart and Colbert are subpar to MSNBC and FOX, even though I hate MSNBC. Everyone here is biased

I don't know about all crimes, there are too many, and too many variations in punishment from place to place.
    Johari Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post

I hate Patriotism in general. "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." -AE

I hate our inefficient government and it's programs, including public education.
    Yes. Also the Cthulhu-cultist alien rulers behind the screen who don't want Americans to be capable of thinking for themselves are going to keep the educational system shitty for that reason.

I don't like the social status system in America, and the worrisome anxious nature that comes with it

I despise that young children are made to do the pledge of allegiance from such an early age, they don't know what it means or stands for ffs, or that it's actually harmful for them.

freedom of choice is a lie, just illusions conjured up by the wizard ruling class so you'll keep letting them shit in your mouth on a daily basis

we're all fucked, ruled by extra-dimensional reptilian puppeteers who only want your blood and soul for money. The politicians serve as a wonderful decoys to represent the people and act as something people can direct their disappointment at when things fail, even though they're bound to and serve on this purpose.

and yeah I hypocritically stole all of that from George Carlin, but added my own spices and flavors.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I hate that some don't appreciate how great the US is
    Johari Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't know about all crimes, there are too many, and too many variations in punishment from place to place.
    The US already imprisons more people than any other country, accounting for 25% of total world prison population (with only ~5% of the population). What leads you to believe that more prison time (as you broadly stated it) will benefit society?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The US already imprisons more people than any other country, accounting for 25% of total world prison population (with only ~5% of the population). What leads you to believe that more prison time will benefit society?
    it's harder to do a hit and run again in a room with bars at the front
    Johari Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

it's harder to do a hit and run again in a room with bars at the front
    I was hoping for something more substantive than a platitude. Perhaps I gave you too much credit.