User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 15

  1. #1
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,648

    Default A gadget to die for?

    There are suicides in the Asian factories churning out cells and iPads for the west, should western consumers care and if they should what should they do?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There are suicides in the Asian factories churning out cells and iPads for the west, should western consumers care and if they should what should they do?
    Why are they committing suicide? Is it related to the way apple is treating the workers or allowing them to be treated or does it have something to do with something else that is completely unrelated? Suicide is sad regardless, but I think what you're asking is should consumers attempt to put some kind of pressure on Apple (if you're not then I apologize).

  3. #3
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    I think we should be more humane, and not buy these products so the workers can support their local markets, like the sex trade, human trafficking, and drug trade.



  4. #4
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Yep and while we are at it we should stop eating any kind of meat, because of the way animals are sometimes treated.

  5. #5
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    People keep walking on the grass. We should boycott plants too.

    Oh and we keep throwing crap on the ground instead of recycling, we should also boycott gravity, let's just float here instead.



    Sillyness aside, where'd yeu get the information stating that these suicides have occurred, and do yeu have any evidence at all that they have ANYTHING to do with the product they're manufacturing, or the company?

    People commit suicide more often than we'd like to think. We don't normally blame the company they work for, and there's a good chance the only reason we're even caring that there MIGHT be any reason this time, is because it's in asia, which most people will assume china, or other poorer nations of the area. Which's odd, since the most likely one for that to occur in would be japan, and would be less likely to be directly related to the company were that the case.

    Anyways, I'd like to see whot the reasoning is behind this before passing judgment, or at least evidence it even occurred. All things considered, this could very well just be to see whot people's reaction is, considering the massive lack of data, and yeu're just curious if we'll all go ZOMG ASIAN WORKERS DYING!

  6. #6
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    People keep walking on the grass. We should boycott plants too.

    Oh and we keep throwing crap on the ground instead of recycling, we should also boycott gravity, let's just float here instead.



    Sillyness aside, where'd yeu get the information stating that these suicides have occurred, and do yeu have any evidence at all that they have ANYTHING to do with the product they're manufacturing, or the company?

    People commit suicide more often than we'd like to think. We don't normally blame the company they work for, and there's a good chance the only reason we're even caring that there MIGHT be any reason this time, is because it's in asia, which most people will assume china, or other poorer nations of the area. Which's odd, since the most likely one for that to occur in would be japan, and would be less likely to be directly related to the company were that the case.

    Anyways, I'd like to see whot the reasoning is behind this before passing judgment, or at least evidence it even occurred. All things considered, this could very well just be to see whot people's reaction is, considering the massive lack of data, and yeu're just curious if we'll all go ZOMG ASIAN WORKERS DYING!
    My post was in jest, but the specific situation is Foxconn, which is a assembly plant for Apple, Dell, and other computing/consumer products of the like. They have a history of employee suicides due to the hours and production demands. The employees sign contracts that allow Foxconn to circumvent certain labor laws.

    Apple, Nokia, Dell, HP Investigating Conditions at Foxconn Site - Desktops and Notebooks from eWeek

    Insider Op-ed:

    Undercover Report From Foxconn's Hell Factory



  7. #7
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    My post was in jest, but the specific situation is Foxconn, which is a assembly plant for Apple, Dell, and other computing/consumer products of the like. They have a history of employee suicides due to the hours and production demands. The employees sign contracts that allow Foxconn to circumvent certain labor laws.

    Apple, Nokia, Dell, HP Investigating Conditions at Foxconn Site - Desktops and Notebooks from eWeek

    Insider Op-ed:

    Undercover Report From Foxconn's Hell Factory
    Thanks for the links, that is pretty sad after reading through that >.<

    Legally allowed to make them work around 18 hours a day for weeks on end with no weekends or days off. Really...

    And then they wonder why they kill themselves >.> Oh yeah, because they have no life, they live virtually every minute doing work. And all they get is minimum wage... how quaint.

    Yeah.

    Kinda disappointed lark didn't give any information on this in the original post, but at least it's there now.

    Whot's most sad, is this:

    According to a timeline of milestones on the Foxconn Website, however, in 2006 it was named one of the “Best Employers in China” by a ChinaHR.com poll, while another poll named it “Best Company to Make [an] Employee Feel Blessed.”

    This seems to be the case for bad companies; it's not that they're GOOD, it's that they have alot of employees. This Foxconn has apparently about 800,000 employees... walmart has alot too, and they were also quoted as being one of the best employers to work for... funny considering they pay as little as possible, work yeu into the ground, and the last time I heard about anyone in walmart trying to make a union for the worker's rights, rather than allow them a union as a precedent, they shut the store down to scare the other locations into being too afraid to form one lest they all loose their jobs.

    Sigh, big companies suck, it seems. Have yet to see one that wasn't an ass to its' workers.

    However, there are limits on just how much of an asshat a company is allowed to be, and I'm afraid Foxconn sounds like they've long since crossed that line, and kept running.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    My post was in jest, but the specific situation is Foxconn, which is a assembly plant for Apple, Dell, and other computing/consumer products of the like. They have a history of employee suicides due to the hours and production demands. The employees sign contracts that allow Foxconn to circumvent certain labor laws.

    Apple, Nokia, Dell, HP Investigating Conditions at Foxconn Site - Desktops and Notebooks from eWeek

    Insider Op-ed:

    Undercover Report From Foxconn's Hell Factory
    That sucks.

  9. #9
    Senior Member eagleseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Question: What alternatives exist for said suicidal workers?

    Is it not arrogant to arbitrarily prevent others from doing work we find distasteful? I would much rather have the occasional Chinese worker commit suicide, than have a large segment of their population starving to death (which was once common in China).

    Further, how is this any different from the situation of illegal immigrants in half of the United States? Are we in any position to complain about China, when America's entire agricultural sector is built upon the blood of illegal Mexican labor?

  10. #10
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Western consumers are not Chinese, and Apple is not the Chinese government.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



Similar Threads

  1. Why did Jesus have to die?
    By antireconciler in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
  2. anyone have an excellent to die for tomato sauce recipe?
    By prplchknz in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 08:42 PM
  3. Does Sahara tend to disappear for periods of time?
    By Zergling in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 02:34 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 11:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO