User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Well, Fe is the function that emphasizes empathy and sympathy for others. So logically, an ideology that contravenes that (such as libertarianism) would be naturally unappealing to a higher Fe user.
    Libertarianism contravenes empathy and sympathy for others?

Oh dear. My suggestion would be to follow INFP Bob Dylan's edict from 1964:

don’t criticize
    What you can’t understand

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Yeah I wouldnt have thought so either, I'd have assumed that it was just about rejected the idea of institutonalising either of them, making them bureaucratic practices.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Well, Fe is the function that emphasizes empathy and sympathy for others. So logically, an ideology that contravenes that (such as libertarianism) would be naturally unappealing to a higher Fe user..
    Personal life experience isn't needed to form an opinion on politics. all that's necessary is knowledge of the issues and a logical grasp (either through data or intuition) of how you think they could be addressed. Those "magical four letters" simply refer to the way a person thinks, absorbs information and makes decisions, and thus could very well color a person's perspective on political matters
    Personal life experience contributes to the way a person thinks, absorbs information and makes desicions. People's preferences for function usage tend to be shaped by what worked for them best in the the majority of thier life experience. Life experience not only shapes function perferences, but how those functions are used.
    So your example of a Fe user for instances, happened to discovered, that all thier love and care (via money for example) was being misdirected to people they had no sympathy for, or any empathy for, then they are going to advocate for the freedom to chose who they help. So I could see a heavey Fe user going liberatrian. In fact I could see a Fe user very much pumping for the freedom to look after thier own and thier own only.
    If logical analysis and access to information was all that was required to be able to vote then ten year olds would be allowed to do so, beside when did "logic" and politics ever go together? There's a logic to all sides of the political spectrum, but it is beliefs and values that forces you to choose.
    However I believe you are misusing function theory, or are working from fairly narrow definitions, and stereotypes.
    If you are speaking "Logically", and using broad steoreotypes, a heavy Fe-user isn't going to buck the trend of thier peers, so if they are in an environment where say communism is heavily advocated, then they are more likely to be communist. (Please don't smack me, Fe users...I'm not implying you are mindless sheeple.)
    But If you give credit where credit is due, they going to support what ever ideology is going to benefit thier loved ones the most (and for long run), and depending on thier current enviroment and concerns that could almost be any ideology.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Actually, I should just let other people do the talking...they say it much more conscisely.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

[QUOTE=pure_mercury;1179269]
    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post

My parents aren't wealthy (by American standards), and they are moderate Catholic Democrats who aren't particularly politically involved. My beliefs have little to do with my background. I think they DO have something to do with my personality, but I don't think that individuals have their beliefs determined by type.

Nowadays, immigrants tend to be less left-wing than many Americans. These are no longer the old days of the immigrant/first-generation radical worker.
    OK I take your point. I guess there is a complex interrelationship between the individual mindset and their lived experience, which leads to a persons views. We probably agree on that.

I would say broadly though, excpetions noted, that we can identify how collective groups identify with particular beliefs in certain "conjunctures", and this has little to do with MBTI.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post

OK I take your point. I guess there is a complex interrelationship between the individual mindset and their lived experience, which leads to a persons views. We probably agree on that.

I would say broadly though, excpetions noted, that we can identify how collective groups identify with particular beliefs in certain "conjunctures", and this has little to do with MBTI.
    Of those of us who believe MBTI typing doesn't determine political persusion, aren't those basically the points we are all trying communicate, in our way? Kinda.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I guess. but that's a good thing, surely?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post

Oh dear. My suggestion would be to follow INFP Bob Dylan's edict from 1964:

don’t criticize
    What you can’t understand
    I have a very extensive understanding of libertarianism and all aspects of libertarian political theology theory, having been a libertarian myself once upon a time. Frankly, I actually get bored discussing libertarianism, because I know every argument and counterargument they have regarding every policy suggestion imaginable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ESFJ

I have a very extensive understanding of libertarianism and all aspects of libertarian political theology theory, having been a libertarian myself once upon a time. Frankly, I actually get bored discussing libertarianism, because I know every argument and counterargument they have regarding every policy suggestion imaginable.
    We aren't discussing policy here. We're discussing how one's type affects one's political beliefs, if at all.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

[QUOTE=tcda;1179533]
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post

I would agree. There are demographic things like location, age, religion, class, gender, etc. to think about, then specific personality traits and type influences, and also just major current events.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"