User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default Man of the Year?

Time Magazine has announced this years Man of the Year (or more specifically, person, or occassionally Entity of the Year) and it's Vladimir Putin!

I heard several interesting analysises of this on NPR from across the political spectrum on my way home from work today and would like to know what you guys think about this selection!

Please, do you think that this was a good selection? Why?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't know how I feel about it just yet. Overall I think the guy's trouble for us and he seems to go out of his way to block anything we want to do around the world along with China, but there's no doubt that he's a mover and a shaker in Russia, right now. I don't pretend to know a lot about it, but he's definitely making Russia in his own image right now.

As for Time magazine, I heard a representative of theirs say today that choosing 'Man of the Year' wasn't a popularity contest. I guess that's true.
    Last edited by PuddleRiver; 12-20-2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: trying to be more coherent...and failing. bleh.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'd hope that it wasn't a popularity contest considering that Hitler was once Man of the Year!

They said that they picked him for bringing Russia back to a sense of power that it hadn't had since the 1980s from what I heard.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Yikes, didn't know about Hitler, and I'm finding out, many, many more.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Of course! Bin Laden, too.
    Man of the year is supposed to be based on importance and notoriety, not whether or not you agree with the person.

It's true, Putin is going back to the old way of doing things and is returning Russia to political power in the process. He can only do this with certain, other looming threats, though. Russia's enormous amounts of gas and oil is making it an increasingly precious country. Beyond that, it has such broad control that it can affect the resource trade and development of many countries around it, including oil-rich Kazakhstan, or gas-rich Iran just over the Caspian. Putin is well aware of the cards he holds, and he knows what to do with him. It's making him a major figure.

I can't hold a bias against him. I don't like a lot of what he does, but he is no worse than our leaders or China's, so I can't single him out.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Putin? I bet it was his cleverly "leaked" shirtless photos that won Time over.

Obviously his reign will be inferior to mine. But I find him an acceptable replacement and I extend a welcoming hand to the newest member of our exclusive club.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think it's possible that he's been very influential in shaping events. As others have said, notorious figures have been chosen before, because evil people can still be influential.

The question I have is why Vladimir Putin was chosen specifically. I found an answer here.

Basically, it's we've overlooked Russia quite a bit since the Cold War ended (and I had been wondering about that, actually.) And he's done a lot of things with Russia since, giving it new wind in it's sails. I think they could be formidable again. I knew the dismissal of the idea of a Russian threat might have been premature, and now I'm a little worried...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Of course! Bin Laden, too.
    Man of the year is supposed to be based on importance and notoriety, not whether or not you agree with the person.

It's true, Putin is going back to the old way of doing things and is returning Russia to political power in the process. He can only do this with certain, other looming threats, though. Russia's enormous amounts of gas and oil is making it an increasingly precious country. Beyond that, it has such broad control that it can affect the resource trade and development of many countries around it, including oil-rich Kazakhstan, or gas-rich Iran just over the Caspian. Putin is well aware of the cards he holds, and he knows what to do with him. It's making him a major figure.

I can't hold a bias against him. I don't like a lot of what he does, but he is no worse than our leaders or China's, so I can't single him out.
    False.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Time Magazine has announced this years Man of the Year (or more specifically, person, or occassionally Entity of the Year) and it's Vladimir Putin!

I heard several interesting analysises of this on NPR from across the political spectrum on my way home from work today and would like to know what you guys think about this selection!

Please, do you think that this was a good selection? Why?
    The battle against the terror.
    Yours or mine?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think it's possible that he's been very influential in shaping events. As others have said, notorious figures have been chosen before, because evil people can still be influential.

The question I have is why Vladimir Putin was chosen specifically. I found an answer here.

Basically, it's we've overlooked Russia quite a bit since the Cold War ended (and I had been wondering about that, actually.) And he's done a lot of things with Russia since, giving it new wind in it's sails. I think they could be formidable again. I knew the dismissal of the idea of a Russian threat might have been premature, and now I'm a little worried...
    You found the answer.
    Whose answer?