User Tag List

First 567

Thread: Should I vote?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vithal View Post
    But still what if evryone felt that way. Just because you guessed it would be said doesn't mean its a bad arguement
    I apologise for not answering sooner, but I have found time to think about your hypothetical question.

Of course the first thing that struck me is, why stop there? The question could just as easily be more hypothetical.

Why not ask: What if everyone felt your way and didn't vote...

...and we all lived on the planet Niribu in the year 1476 in a community whose principle export was nail files and we all rode around on ostriches fighting a race of super evolved egg whisks, and our leader was a three headed Bob Saget whose aim was to find the elusive criminal John Stamos for his robbery of the golden hair dryer from Mount Tiramisu to pay back his fines on planet Dimsdale for the crime of patting a dog the wrong way, i.e tail to head?

I don't have an answer to your question, per se, but it is a very good point.

Well done.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    I apologise for not answering sooner, but I have found time to think about your hypothetical question.

Of course the first thing that struck me is, why stop there? The question could just as easily be more hypothetical.

Why not ask: What if everyone felt your way and didn't vote...

...and we all lived on the planet Niribu in the year 1476 in a community whose principle export was nail files and we all rode around on ostriches fighting a race of super evolved egg whisks, and our leader was a three headed Bob Saget whose aim was to find the elusive criminal John Stamos for his robbery of the golden hair dryer from Mount Tiramisu to pay back his fines on planet Dimsdale for the crime of patting a dog the wrong way, i.e tail to head?
    Well then that would be a very different place from the one we live in now.

(in case it wasn't obvious)
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    GONE

Of course you should vote. For most citizens, it's your only and most direct and most influential avenue to have a say in government. As a citizen of the United States, you have more political clout and influencing power in your votes than many elected officials in other countries. I think if a person was aware how much voting in the US is a privilege and how other people in the world suffer persecution and death for wont of it, of course they would be motivated to vote. Don't you want to feel a part of the political process, that what you think actually matters?

Apathy is easy. Empowerment is usually hard. But it's so simple in this case why wouldn't you vote.

If that isn't motivational enough, I'll try to think of some voting propaganda...I mean PSA's that I've seen on AFN (American Forces Network)

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Of course you should vote. For most citizens, it's your only and most direct and most influential avenue to have a say in government. As a citizen of the United States, you have more political clout and influencing power in your votes than many elected officials in other countries. I think if a person was aware how much voting in the US is a privilege and how other people in the world suffer persecution and death for wont of it, of course they would be motivated to vote. Don't you want to feel a part of the political process, that what you think actually matters?

Apathy is easy. Empowerment is usually hard. But it's so simple in this case why wouldn't you vote.

If that isn't motivational enough, I'll try to think of some voting propaganda...I mean PSA's that I've seen on AFN (American Forces Network)
    Haven't you read the thread? It's so much cooler to be a member of the Junior Nihilists. :rolli:
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I think if a person was aware how much voting in the US is a privilege and how other people in the world suffer persecution and death for wont of it, of course they would be motivated to vote.
    Freedom of religion is also a privelege in your country. In other countries people suffer persecution for practising their religions.

By your logic does that mean that because your country (somewhat) accepts all religions, that people should be motivated to have a religion and atheism and agnosticism shouldn't be.

Just because somebody isn't getting something in another country doesn't mean we have to take all opportunities we can. In some countries sex change operations aren't allowed. Does this mean we should all get sex changes?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    Freedom of religion is also a privelege in your country. In other countries people suffer persecution for practising their religions.
    Just because it's exclaimed in one country as a privilege doesn't mean that people are accepting of it. I think it's largely to incite immigrants/tourism and partly true. People still antagonize over someone else's belief or lacktherof or if undefinable to them. You can practice, sure, but you might just get grief over it if it's openly displayed (not really in Canada that I've seen/heard but I speak of the US).

Just because somebody isn't getting something in another country doesn't mean we have to take all opportunities we can. In some countries sex change operations aren't allowed. Does this mean we should all get sex changes?
    I don't see why that's necessary to correlate even if I see where you're going with it. Rights are rights, given or denied. Just because it finally becomes allowed in another country to have sex changes, everyone won't do it. Just those who were wanting it and deprived of those rights. Even then, they may or may not do it based off of their personal reasons.

To CzeCze: I would think that there would be those from those countries w/o much freedoms who'd desperately want to vote, somewhat want to vote or who are too jaded to believe that anything will come of it who maybe might vote or won't. There are varying degrees in every country. Some people finally get a chance to vote in certain countries only to have the same leader with a different face. Not always so but it happens. People made the mistake with Bush once and then, if I remember correctly, not a lot of people voted the second time even though there was SUCH hostility against him/low ratings as people were aware of him/his mistakes and it was about a near split loss for him at 49/51. So it's not always so that people will vote because they can, are aware, or even want to.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i don't really see a reason to vote -- it's completely statistically insignificant.

i brought this up to a few friends yesterday, and wanted to know what y'all think.
    Please, do go and vote. The US curently is the most powerful nation on this planet, and those of us living outside the US are very directly affected by the decisions of your goverment. So, the more people in the US engage in discussion and come to an educated decision whom to vote for, the better the quality of life on this planet. So, seriously, I don't care about what your political preferences are but: Please. Do. Vote.