User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Should I vote?

  1. #51
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    "Would you like to vote for Lucifer or Ahriman?"


  2. #52
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    I'm now holding my breath for somebody to bring out the "but what if everybody felt that way" argument.
    But still what if evryone felt that way. Just because you guessed it would be said doesn't mean its a bad arguement
    Fame is the perfume of heroic deeds.

    Socrates

  3. #53
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    i dont vote. the amount of work required to research the candidates to an extent that i think would be required to responsibly choose one is too high when weighed against the likely chance it wont make a difference. plus im lazy.

    also, the whole "complaining" thing... even if whoever you voted for isn't elected, i dont see a reason for complaint. this is how our government works and nobody is gonna stop you from going to another country or even starting your own.

  4. #54
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vithal View Post
    But still what if evryone felt that way. Just because you guessed it would be said doesn't mean its a bad arguement
    No, but the fact that it isn't true does prove that it's a bad argument.

    I was talking politics today at work.

    EVERYONE there was harassing me for not voting. When I asked who they voted for, all of them had reasons like "I don't want to hear the name 'Huckabee' used in association with the president"

    Actually that's not true... I give them too much credit in the category of diction.

    This is the reason I think no one should vote. It fits in with Grayscale's latest response. No one knows shit. They won't know shit, because they won't research. They'd rather choose someone who's got a pleasant sounding name, regardless of other merit, to potentially send their children off to war.

    It's a sad day when nationalism outweighs reproductive preservation.

    Goddamn...
    That's even worse than going simply by party.
    we fukin won boys

  5. #55
    ♪♫♪♫♪♫ luminous beam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Let's say we are in a classroom and the teacher decides that the classroom should have new carpet. What color should the new carpet be? I don't know. Let's call a vote! Quickly you realize that even though you want green carpet, to vote for it would be just throwing your vote away, since everybody else seems to want red or blue. And then you think, "Wait, I don't care what color carpet we have. Am I voting for the color of carpet that I actually want more, or am I voting for the color of carpet that I think will please the most people?" Eventually, you decide to vote for the blue carpet, since all of it's supporters went around saying that red carpet is more likely to cause rug burn.

    Out of 30 voters, 16 people have voted blue and 14 have voted red. Yay for the majority. Who cares if the majority got what they wanted, there's still a great number of people who are upset. You start to think, "Oh no, I am one of the bad people who voted for blue out of fear, and now everything is ruinned!" I didn't want to make so many people unhappy with my decision. I should have voted for green anyway...

    And then teacher says, "Actually, we're just going to put down brown carpet. It was the cheapest and we already bought it 2 weeks ago. I did use all of the money I was allowed for new carpet though, by striking a deal with the carpet guy so that we both made profits for our slush funds."

    I would say that if you have to ask that question, voting would probably be a waste of time for you. And if you actually want to do something, it's going to require a lot more than voting.
    you must really like carpet, don't you? lol


  6. #56
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    ...nobody is gonna stop you from going to another country or even starting your own.
    Yeah?

    Just try starting your own country. I wanna watch (from a safe distance, thanks).

  7. #57
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    I think you should vote.

    Otherwise you're aligning yourself with James Dobson. (You don't want that. Really.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #58
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    I will vote... for the candidate who best represents me. At present, that's none of the front-runners.

    As far as "aligning myself" with anybody, forget it. To react against Dobson makes me just as much a puppet if I were to react for him. That's just not how I think, and never has been.

  9. #59
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    As far as "aligning myself" with anybody, forget it. To react against Dobson makes me just as much a puppet if I were to react for him. That's just not how I think, and never has been.
    Yup... and reacting against me, instead. I played you like a fiddle.

    ps. I was talking to the OP, not you per se... and joking anyhoo.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #60
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yup... and reacting against me, instead. I played you like a fiddle.
    Yeah. That's why I'm going to do the very thing you told me to do.

    [snerk]

    "Romulans... it's always a chess game with them."

Similar Threads

  1. The "Who-You-Should-Vote-For"-Test
    By Stephano in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-31-2016, 07:38 PM
  2. Bernie Sanders: Why Trump Supporters Should Vote for Me
    By Thalassa in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2016, 06:30 PM
  3. Why you should vote YES on PROP 19
    By Edgar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 09:12 AM
  4. Should convicted felons be allowed to vote?
    By Domino in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 02:48 PM
  5. What should I do this weekend?
    By Wolf in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO