User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 67

Thread: Should I vote?

  1. #41
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Let's say we are in a classroom and the teacher decides that the classroom should have new carpet. What color should the new carpet be? I don't know. Let's call a vote! Quickly you realize that even though you want green carpet, to vote for it would be just throwing your vote away, since everybody else seems to want red or blue. And then you think, "Wait, I don't care what color carpet we have. Am I voting for the color of carpet that I actually want more, or am I voting for the color of carpet that I think will please the most people?" Eventually, you decide to vote for the blue carpet, since all of it's supporters went around saying that red carpet is more likely to cause rug burn.

    Out of 30 voters, 16 people have voted blue and 14 have voted red. Yay for the majority. Who cares if the majority got what they wanted, there's still a great number of people who are upset. You start to think, "Oh no, I am one of the bad people who voted for blue out of fear, and now everything is ruinned!" I didn't want to make so many people unhappy with my decision. I should have voted for green anyway...

    And then teacher says, "Actually, we're just going to put down brown carpet. It was the cheapest and we already bought it 2 weeks ago. I did use all of the money I was allowed for new carpet though, by striking a deal with the carpet guy so that we both made profits for our slush funds."

    I would say that if you have to ask that question, voting would probably be a waste of time for you. And if you actually want to do something, it's going to require a lot more than voting.
    This is a good rebuttal for the obnoxious arguments that contain the clauses "every vote counts" or "yours could be the deciding vote" but it doesn't necessarily address the real issue, which is that, yeah people are going to choose the one they think they want, or choose the one they think the most people want so they don't throw their vote away, but none of these people have a fucking clue. None of the voters have a goddamn idea about what goes on in the government.

    In government class, I learned 0 lessons about legislature, excepting the archaic foundational works written on hemp. They taught me processes, which has its own merits, to be sure, but at the end of the year, I felt as though I knew no more about the country than I did a year earlier.
    It's would be as if they taught students the scientific process, and expected them to go out and recompose everything the scientific community had established theretofore.

    Carpet is an easy decision. There's pretty much only one dimension. Government has so much more going on, that the only way we'd be able to understand everything to where we'd be making informed decisions would be if everyone in the country studied it all as often and as carefully as the pope studies (or is expected to... I've never actually seen it happen) the bible.
    we fukin won boys

  2. #42
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I do what I want. I don't vote, and I complain. There's no notoriety required for complaining. I complain about the taste of cheese, but I didn't have any say in that decision. I rest my case.
    agree

    We're supposed to be electing a leader. That's fine except that we're really not going anywhere. Where are they leading us?
    time is a dimension, no?

    To me, this kind of decision is entirely unnecessary. They're both going to do the same bullshit administrative job anyway.
    i mean, that's obviously not true... different people, different stances, different people to please --> different decisions.

    i mean, it might not make an insane amount of difference, but it will make SOME.

  3. #43
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    agree



    time is a dimension, no?
    Explain the relevance.


    i mean, that's obviously not true... different people, different stances, different people to please --> different decisions.

    i mean, it might not make an insane amount of difference, but it will make SOME.
    Yeah, one will wear a blue tie instead of the other guy who'd wear a purple one. And still another would be wearing a skirt. I forgot about wardrobe.
    we fukin won boys

  4. #44
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Explain the relevance.
    well, since time is a dimension, and we're traveling through it, we ARE going somewhere. or somewhen. same difference.

    i dunno i was just being a smartass...

  5. #45
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Here's some programming for you;
    smartass == dumbass

    we fukin won boys

  6. #46
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    i mean, saying we don't need a leader because we're not going anywhere is being a smartass...

    so we're both dumbasses.

  7. #47
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Why else do you think no one listens to me?
    we fukin won boys

  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i don't really see a reason to vote -- it's completely statistically insignificant.

    i brought this up to a few friends yesterday, and wanted to know what y'all think.
    Yes, vote. Because if everyone came to the same independent conclusion as you did, then no one would vote. So doesn't that make it statistically significant? Voting is an individual act as part of a collective will.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  9. #49
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Voting isn't a matter of 'if's and possibility.

    Yeah, if everyone decided 'eh fuck it' no one would vote, but they don't. The key phrase is "if everyone". Lots of people do, but not everyone does.

    And honestly, I'd be pretty interested to see an election where no one voted.

    Oh and about the collective will, that doesn't belong in your argument.

    < 50&#37; of people vote, last I heard. Apparently the collective will is to ignore politics.

    But I guess the swarm-mentality is your preferred credence.
    we fukin won boys

  10. #50
    Rats off to ya! Mort Belfry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    I'm now holding my breath for somebody to bring out the "but what if everybody felt that way" argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Yes, vote. Because if everyone came to the same independent conclusion as you did, then no one would vote.



    Damn my intuition.
    Why do we always come here?

    I guess we'll never know.

    It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Similar Threads

  1. The "Who-You-Should-Vote-For"-Test
    By Stephano in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-31-2016, 07:38 PM
  2. Bernie Sanders: Why Trump Supporters Should Vote for Me
    By Thalassa in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2016, 06:30 PM
  3. Why you should vote YES on PROP 19
    By Edgar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 09:12 AM
  4. Should convicted felons be allowed to vote?
    By Domino in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 02:48 PM
  5. What should I do this weekend?
    By Wolf in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO