User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Should I vote?

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    always always vote!!! (sorry- I'm the chick who's always registering people to vote every election year)

As you could witness from the election of 2000, sometimes individual votes DO matter

(and yeah- my first thought, and greatest motivator, is the complaining power you gain by voting! )
    Why do people think that convincing people who naturally wouldn't vote to vote would produce better results? It doesn't make any sense to me. It seems like the opposite would be true. It's just more votes being cast by people who don't care that much and that don't know that much. Just think of the people who would vote Republican just because that's what their family is.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Vote early, vote often.

But: yes.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i don't really see a reason to vote -- it's completely statistically insignificant.

i brought this up to a few friends yesterday, and wanted to know what y'all think.
    What would happen if ten million people thought that, too. Then ten million people wouldn't have their vote count! So many people fought so hard for the right to vote. What if you couldn't vote? Wouldn't that be worse?

I don't care for politics either, but I have always appreciated my right to vote, even though it is hard to imagine that one vote makes a difference.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

1 vote totally didn't matter in that election...

and i could still complain if i didn't vote. it's not like anyone can stop me . (not that i do complain much, i mostly just don't care.)

Like whatever, I used to be active trying to get people to get out to vote. So, one day when I was really feeling discouraged about it, I got a little bit sarcastic (bad, I know) and told 'em that "Yeah, one little vote doesn't seem to amount to much - there's only millions of you out there that feel that way and millions of those one little votes couldn't possibly make a difference". They'd open their mouths to say something and would immediately shut them again.

So, yeah, I think it's that important.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    What would happen if ten million people thought that, too. Then ten million people wouldn't have their vote count! So many people fought so hard for the right to vote. What if you couldn't vote? Wouldn't that be worse?

I don't care for politics either, but I have always appreciated my right to vote, even though it is hard to imagine that one vote makes a difference.
    well a shitload of people do feel the same way i do. but me changing my mind and voting isn't gonna change that at all.

i mean, hey, i'll agree, it's probably a bad thing that so many people are apathetic.

but i don't really care lol.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

i don't really see a reason to vote -- it's completely statistically insignificant.

i brought this up to a few friends yesterday, and wanted to know what y'all think.
    Personally, I think you should. And I think you should encourage as many people as possible to vote as well. A drop in the bucket is still more water, right? It's probably necessary for the U.S. to implement some changes to make voting easier on people, like not having weekday elections and such... but it's better to say you tried to make a difference than that you didn't, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAmerica View Post
    Yes you should vote. If you dont, then don't complain about the outcome.......

I’ve heard if you don’t vote you can’t complain about the results because you didn’t participate. I’ve also heard if you do vote you can’t complain about the results because by voting you accept the outcome whatever it may be and are morally culpable for the consequences of the candidates and laws you voted for.

I look at voting as damage control. You rarely have to opportunity to vote for good candidates and laws but you can and should choose the lesser evil or the least damaging option. Yes, voting for the lesser evil is still voting for evil. If you don’t vote for the lesser evil the greater evil may win.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I've heard if you don't vote you can't complain about the results because you didn't participate. I've also heard if you do vote you can't complain about the results because by voting you accept the outcome whatever it may be and are morally culpable for the consequences of the candidates and laws you voted for.

I look at voting as damage control. You rarely have to opportunity to vote for good candidates and laws but you can and should choose the lesser evil or the least damaging option. Yes, voting for the lesser evil is still voting for evil. If you don't vote for the lesser evil the greater evil may win.
    That's sad, but probably true. There are definite flaws in how candidates are chosen, and how much influence money and advertising play a role in it. It's really a shame that a candidate can't be elected on their qualifications and character rather than their fame and influence... that's what I think. I really believe that if people could be persuaded to ignore advertising, and do independent research to find out who to nominate and decide who to vote for, we would have better elected officials.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Just think of the people who would vote Republican just because that's what their family is.
    Here in the South, those folks are far outnumbered by those who vote Democrat just because that's what their family is.

Oberon

i don't really complain about the outcomes. i'm pretty politically apathetic.
    In that case, your time is probably better spent staying home and cracking open a good bottle of wine. Get together with some like-minded friends and throw a "None of the Above" party.