User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Default Rand Paul: How much of my foot can I fit into my mouth at one time.

They say Biden is a gaffe machine. This guy is version 2.0.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I've heard his name pronounced Rand too but its really Ron is I'm not mistaken, I wonder why this is, its almost as if they are trying to make a link for people with Ayn Rand and Ron Paul, it's a little more than when they pronounced Colin Powel as Col-land Powel.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I've heard his name pronounced Rand too but its really Ron is I'm not mistaken, I wonder why this is, its almost as if they are trying to make a link for people with Ayn Rand and Ron Paul, it's a little more than when they pronounced Colin Powel as Col-land Powel.

Rand Paul is the son of Ron Paul and is actually named "Randal."

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Rand Paul is the son of Ron Paul and is actually named "Randal."
    NO SHIT!!

Bloudy hell, I've got to tell people this, people been mixing them up here for a couple of weeks. Probably not the media but the people talking politics at the water cooler.

Cheers S.

MBTI
    INFP

Meh Rand Paul had fair points, but the media is just batshit crazy....so no suprise there. The intelligent folk at least understood his position, not sure about the rest of them though.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    Meh Rand Paul had fair points, but the media is just batshit crazy....so no suprise there. The intelligent folk at least understood his position, not sure about the rest of them though.
    You dont need to be intelligent to "get" either of the Pauls.

Just be totally ignorant of economics in the real world.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Purist libertarians have plenty of positions that normal American's find off putting. This is what more establishment Republicans have been warning their party, and now because of it that seat may go to a Democrat. All because of his backwards views on civil rights.

Everyone understood his position, actually. It's his campaign that is trying to walk back and soften his honest position, that him and his father have been expressing for years.

I don't think most people believe private business should be able to discriminate based on race. It would be interesting to see it polled.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Well, I agree that media haven't been fair, but Rand Paul isn't completely consistent, either. For example, he's for keeping (currently illegal) drugs illegal, and against abortions being legal (wants a constitution ban). That's definitely the government intruding into the private sphere in a non-pure-libertarian way... so why do libertarian principles apply in the right of businesses to discriminate and not in other cases? Are the rights of businesses greater than the rights of individuals in his view? Is there something particularly defensible about choosing not to serve based on race? What's the rationale?

I'm not a libertarian, but I can respect consistency. I don't understand how he's being consistent.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

His positions are very much like his father's, and thus inconsistent in the same ways.

The libertarian seems like an incorrect label here for two people who are both paleo-conservative fuddy-duddies (I know Rand isn't old, but he mimics his old man).
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    His positions are very much like his father's, and thus inconsistent in the same ways.

The libertarian seems like an incorrect label here for two people who are both paleo-conservative fuddy-duddies (I know Rand isn't old, but he mimics his old man).
    Maybe I'm looking for consistency where none exists... I still think of the Ron Paul as claiming to be a libertarian, but I like your description better. (Bad me!) Still, I would like for Rand Paul to explain how his stances are consistent.

That's not to say the stereotypical Republican and Democratic party positions are entirely consistent, either.