User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Defending God does not necessarily imply violence, but in cases that do involve it are covered under Just War Doctrine.
    That's not part of the Bible. That's just stuff people made up.

Why does God need defending?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

If he can get jealous at any false idols, I'm sure he also suffers from bruised ego and gingivitis.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    The lesson is simple. Every time you threaten or murder someone who creates something that insults your religion, ten more insults will take his place.

Thus, as this spreads, religious radicals will learn that killing and maiming individuals will not our suppress freedom of speech.
    Yeah something tells me that approach won't work. The more you insult the beliefs of muslims (even under the guise of freedom of speech) the more facile the job of the fundamentalist muslim recruiter becomes.

All this kind of nonsense will do is create more radical muslims, because when the fundamentalist muslims take to the streets preaching how the evil westerners are trying to eradicate all muslims and their beliefs someone who might have otherwise ignored the culture of the west might feel compelled to stop the west before the west stops them.

The only thing that will prevent fundamentalist of any religion/belief system from killing those that do not share their beliefs is teaching understanding and tolerance, anything short of that and we will always have violence and conflict. I don't have much faith in mankind on this issue because there are far too many self righteous assclowns out there for mankind to ever practice large scale tolerance.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Trolling at its finest.

MBTI
    INFP

Are there confirmed reports of not just facebook, but Pakistan also blocking Wikipedia,Twitter,Google, Yahoo and Blogspot?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    Are there confirmed reports of not just facebook, but Pakistan also blocking Wikipedia,Twitter,Google, Yahoo and Blogspot?
    This wikipedia article seems to explain the history of Pakistan's ban on internet sites - Internet censorship in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't research the references so I have no idea how accurate all of the information in the article is. Still for those that are interested in this subject it seems like a decent place to start.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    The lesson is simple. Every time you threaten or murder someone who creates something that insults your religion, ten more insults will take his place.

Thus, as this spreads, religious radicals will learn that killing and maiming individuals will not our suppress freedom of speech.
    Why is this prejudice applied to all muslims?

Christianity has many different interpretations and denominations. Yet, no one is getting up in arms by the thousands over christian hate groups that go out hurting people. We don't define all christians by the actions of a few.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Why is this prejudice applied to all muslims?

Christianity has many different interpretations and denominations. Yet, no one is getting up in arms by the thousands over christian hate groups that go out hurting people. We don't define all christians by the actions of a few.
    Violently terroristic Christian hate groups? They exist, it's true, but they are much less prevalent than the jihadis... much smaller both in numbers of groups and numbers of members. They're rightly considered wackos and are mostly a nuisance.

Still, it seems to me that eagleseven's post applies to them as much as it does the jihadis.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Violently terroristic Christian hate groups? They exist, it's true, but they are much less prevalent than the jihadis... much smaller both in numbers of groups and numbers of members. They're rightly considered wackos and are mostly a nuisance.

Still, it seems to me that eagleseven's post applies to them as much as it does the jihadis.
    Yes. I didn't accuse him of taking any side. I want to know what his opinion is nonetheless.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Dare I ask on what basis you make this argument?

I usually don't like citing movies, but Richard Burton's protrayal of St. Thomas Becket sums it up: "The Kingdom of God must be defended like any other Kingdom. Do you think that Right has only to show its handsome face for everything to drop in its lap? Without Might, its old enemy, Right counts for nothing."

And yet, Becket doesn't resort to violence in defending God's kingdom:
    [youtube="ym6Qgj55e3Y"]St. Thomas Becket[/youtube]