User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 146

  1. #101
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Defending God does not necessarily imply violence, but in cases that do involve it are covered under Just War Doctrine.
    That's not part of the Bible. That's just stuff people made up.

    Why does God need defending?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #102
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's not part of the Bible. That's just stuff people made up.

    Why does God need defending?
    If he can get jealous at any false idols, I'm sure he also suffers from bruised ego and gingivitis.

  3. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    The lesson is simple. Every time you threaten or murder someone who creates something that insults your religion, ten more insults will take his place.

    Thus, as this spreads, religious radicals will learn that killing and maiming individuals will not our suppress freedom of speech.
    Yeah something tells me that approach won't work. The more you insult the beliefs of muslims (even under the guise of freedom of speech) the more facile the job of the fundamentalist muslim recruiter becomes.

    All this kind of nonsense will do is create more radical muslims, because when the fundamentalist muslims take to the streets preaching how the evil westerners are trying to eradicate all muslims and their beliefs someone who might have otherwise ignored the culture of the west might feel compelled to stop the west before the west stops them.

    The only thing that will prevent fundamentalist of any religion/belief system from killing those that do not share their beliefs is teaching understanding and tolerance, anything short of that and we will always have violence and conflict. I don't have much faith in mankind on this issue because there are far too many self righteous assclowns out there for mankind to ever practice large scale tolerance.

  4. #104
    Senior Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Trolling at its finest.

  5. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Are there confirmed reports of not just facebook, but Pakistan also blocking Wikipedia,Twitter,Google, Yahoo and Blogspot?

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    Are there confirmed reports of not just facebook, but Pakistan also blocking Wikipedia,Twitter,Google, Yahoo and Blogspot?
    This wikipedia article seems to explain the history of Pakistan's ban on internet sites - Internet censorship in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I didn't research the references so I have no idea how accurate all of the information in the article is. Still for those that are interested in this subject it seems like a decent place to start.

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    The lesson is simple. Every time you threaten or murder someone who creates something that insults your religion, ten more insults will take his place.

    Thus, as this spreads, religious radicals will learn that killing and maiming individuals will not our suppress freedom of speech.
    Why is this prejudice applied to all muslims?

    Christianity has many different interpretations and denominations. Yet, no one is getting up in arms by the thousands over christian hate groups that go out hurting people. We don't define all christians by the actions of a few.

  8. #108
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Why is this prejudice applied to all muslims?

    Christianity has many different interpretations and denominations. Yet, no one is getting up in arms by the thousands over christian hate groups that go out hurting people. We don't define all christians by the actions of a few.
    Violently terroristic Christian hate groups? They exist, it's true, but they are much less prevalent than the jihadis... much smaller both in numbers of groups and numbers of members. They're rightly considered wackos and are mostly a nuisance.

    Still, it seems to me that eagleseven's post applies to them as much as it does the jihadis.

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Violently terroristic Christian hate groups? They exist, it's true, but they are much less prevalent than the jihadis... much smaller both in numbers of groups and numbers of members. They're rightly considered wackos and are mostly a nuisance.

    Still, it seems to me that eagleseven's post applies to them as much as it does the jihadis.
    Yes. I didn't accuse him of taking any side. I want to know what his opinion is nonetheless.

  10. #110
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's not part of the Bible. That's just stuff people made up.
    Dare I ask on what basis you make this argument?

    Why does God need defending?
    I usually don't like citing movies, but Richard Burton's protrayal of St. Thomas Becket sums it up: "The Kingdom of God must be defended like any other Kingdom. Do you think that Right has only to show its handsome face for everything to drop in its lap? Without Might, its old enemy, Right counts for nothing."

    And yet, Becket doesn't resort to violence in defending God's kingdom:
    [youtube="ym6Qgj55e3Y"]St. Thomas Becket[/youtube]

Similar Threads

  1. Asperger's, ADD/ADHD, and Response to Sensory Information
    By Totenkindly in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 07:24 PM
  2. Emotions in response to movies/tv shows
    By raindancing in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 01:06 AM
  3. [MBTItm] NFs/NTs: What would ____ do/think in response to ____?
    By DigitalMethod in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO