User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I wonder, if there was a cyber attack on every site showing that they are going to show a drawing of muhammed....will they ban the internet? :p

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    I wonder, if there was a cyber attack on every site showing that they are going to show a drawing of muhammed....will they ban the internet? :p
    Somehow I doubt it since a cyber attack placing depictions of muhammad all over the internet doesn't quite carry the same spirit as the owners/operators of FB allowing a group to openly mock the muslim religion and break the laws of Pakistan. FB is now banned in Pakistan because portions of the site break their laws it's that simple.

We have communities in the USA (like the Amish) who don't use modern technology or sparingly use it and yet somehow they survive without the internet or FB.

Why doesn't anyone feel that these people are violating the free speech of the entire world by keeping their people away from tv, radio, and the internet (it all violates their religious laws after all) but for the sake of the free speech of everyone else should we all just force that technology upon them? Maybe I should build a mobile big screen and attach it to the back of my truck and start driving through their communities with music videos and other icons of pop culture blasting for all their children to see... I could park just across their school house for a couple hours a day on the public roads and just sit their spreading my message of modern western culture. It wouldn't be illegal if I did this but it would be malicious and I shouldn't be shocked if the Amish people react badly to my complete lack of respect for their culture or if they try to find some city ordinance law I might be breaking to keep my sinful, unwelcome, and malicious messages away.

So to put it bluntly I just don't understand the need people have to openly disrespect the cultures of other people. It's not illegal in our country but it really is tasteless in my opinion. I respect the rights of those depicting muhammed to do as they chose, but why be so shocked that the muslim countries are refusing to be a witness to the display. It's like they're shocked their malice is being ignored. Ah well.. I guess it takes some of the fun out of it, when the people you're attempting to insult refuse to participate and you end up telling your "joke" to yourself...

Either way, I think the fact that people are so opinionated about how muslims respond to FB's violation of their laws within their own country is very telling about our own culture and depending on who you are quite revealing of what some of our own intolerances are based on.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I know plenty of Christians who have no respect for Muslims on this issue.
    As do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Uma211DVU"]Draw Muhammad[/YOUTUBE]

Alright, so, apparently someone draped a facebook group with "Draw Muhammad" propaganda, encouraging people on youtube and facebook to observe this occasion by expressing artistic sacrilege. Now Pakistan, and possibly other Islamic countries, are going to censor facebook. What do you think?

I have always been confused about censorship, and why people are offended about the expressions of certain things that violate sacred subjects. I suppose my confusion stems from the fact that I think that free speech should be more sacred than anything, whether a person is slandering a subject, or promoting it. The freedom to express oneself should be the highest common denominator in any society, imho. But of course, I'm speaking from my own cultural bubble.
    Well do think that there are limits to free speech, although I dont believe that political islam should set those limits.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's your interpretation. Your interpretation leaves the door wide open for violence in the name of others, which I don't think was the intent of the sermon.
    Defending God does not necessarily imply violence, but in cases that do involve it are covered under Just War Doctrine.

You know the irony is that you probably can find more Mohammed cartoons than ever online now. Not their intention I'll bet.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I have no idea what this sentence is supposed to mean.
    I mean there was no way for the free speech advocates to defy the prohibitions of the extremists without also causing offense to moderate Muslims.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Alright, so, apparently someone draped a facebook group with "Draw Muhammad" propaganda, encouraging people on youtube and facebook to observe this occasion by expressing artistic sacrilege. Now Pakistan, and possibly other Islamic countries, are going to censor facebook. What do you think?
    I find the whole thing lulzy. I'm participating in Draw Muhammad Day, and am currently using Muhammad wearing a bomb turban as a profile pic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

MBTI
    INTJ

The lesson is simple. Every time you threaten or murder someone who creates something that insults your religion, ten more insults will take his place.

Thus, as this spreads, religious radicals will learn that killing and maiming individuals will not our suppress freedom of speech.