User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Cops kill child.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not sure the war on drugs lead to the militarisation of the police so much as the fact that dealing provided gangs with enough arms to be as much of a challenge to the authorities as the insurgents in Iraq, seriously, I've read or heard commentators who suggest that Bin Laden's outfit is less frightening than some of the gangs in LA.
    I'm not sure you completely read my posts on the topic.

Here's Karl Denninger's take on it... long, but worth the read.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Here's Karl Denninger's take on it... long, but worth the read.
    I like this line:

The test should not be "can we get this guy if we storm the place" - it should be if we don't storm the place is someone likely to be injured or worse as a consequence of doing police work and arresting the suspect when he emerges...
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar

I don't think I could deal with the rage and sorrow that family must be going through. I don't have a daughter, but if I did and she was shot up like this; I would totally loose it.

I heard on the TV there is an alleged video of the account which substantially contradicts the police's story where it shows a gang of cops surrounding a unit at night kicking in the door, tossing in smoke/flash grenades and shooting inside the house from the outside.
    I hope an outside agency like the FBI does an independent investigation in order to avoid the local authorities from doing another cover up.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Sad? That's not even sad, that's outrageous. I've always held the opinion that cops are as much enemies of civil society as criminals, these are the situations that confirm my view. If I were her father I would relentlessly try to kill all those "cops".
    Yes, very much so. Black and mexican people have known this for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    ^That is something I'd like to learn more about.
    Radley Balko of Reason is probably the foremost critic of militarized police/SWAT/ATF tactics and general War on Drugs policy in America right now. Check out his website.

The Agitator

I also think it's naive to call these incidents "isolated." I believe something like 100-150 innocent people or nonviolent offenders die in police raids in the U.S. a year. The number of family pets killed is astounding, because they are taught to shoot first with animals ("drug dealers keep attack dogs for protection" is the excuse). Now, that isn't a ton of people in a country of 300 million, but we are talking about 80-year-old women and elderly pastors dying of heart attacks here. It's absolutely abhorrent, and it needs to stop immediately.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

I am Sofa King!!! Array kendoiwan's Avatar

Jen: The woman accused of wrestling with the cop has no priors, never been arrested for anything ever. So I have no reason to think she was a danger to anyone or doubt her story.

Beat: Cop makes a mistake, someone dies. Cops in this situation face minimal punishment 9 out of 10 times. Desk duty until a trial where their version of events carries the day and their back out on the beat. No pun intended. Lets hope you're never on the wrong end of that mistake.

Edit: Never thought I'd see the day I'd be in complete and total agreement with Pure Mercury and Lateralus.

Edit edit:
    An attorney representing the family of a 7-year-old girl shot to death during a Sunday morning raid says the family knows the Detroit police officer who fired the fatal shot is "not a monster" but said the police operation was flawed and influenced by TV production concerns.

The police "were excited; they were on TV," said Oak Park attorney Karri Mitchell, who is representing the family of Aiyana Jones. "They didn't have to throw a grenade through the front window when they knew there were children in there."

The attempted arrest of a murder suspect at a two-unit house on Lillibridge on the city's east side was videotaped for an episode of "The First 48," a reality crime show on the Arts & Entertainment Network, said Detroit police spokesman John Roach...

Ron Scott, director of the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, said he's never heard of police using flash grenades while executing search warrants.

"That's usually done during barricaded gunman situations, but this is the first time I've ever heard of them doing it for a search warrant," Scott said.
    Crime show taped Detroit raid that led to 7-year-old's death | | The Detroit News

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

half mystic, half skeksis Array jenocyde's Avatar

Well, if the woman is spotless, then it's worse than I anticipated. It's one thing to have an accident based on bravado. But the deceit and dirtiness would make it tougher for me to think leniently of the cops involved. Slandering the victim to cover your own tracks? I would probably want the maximum punishment allowed by state law, and also bring in federal charges.

What is, is. Array Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    They save lives and stop fascism too.
    Thank god you and your gun were there to save all those lives.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

6w5 sp/sx
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    And my point is, whatever their intel was, it was wrong. They suck at their jobs. No, they probably didn't deliberately try to kill the child, but they put her in danger simply due to their presence.

Based on what I read, the suspect wasn't even in the apartment with child. How can someone protect their children if cops can barge into your home just because a murder suspect lives nearby? That sounds like a violation of the 4th amendment to me, regardless of whether some idiot judge gave them a warrant. Judges are not infallible.
    "No knock warrants" are commonplace around this city.

And I agree with you.

Seems to me someone got a little feisty with A&E cameras rolling...