half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Absolutely correct, why doesnt it happen in the 'burbs? They less likely to resist police? Less likely to attract police attention?

I dont get what the judgement being passed in the OP is.
    Exactly. I just want to understand all the facts. Blame is to be had somewhere, of course, but I am not automatically assuming anything.

Pretend for a minute that the 34 year old suspect was the parent of that 7 year old. Would you have a different opinion of how it all went down, then? Would you think this person would be someone interested in taking care of the welfare of children? It could be entirely possible that he thrust the kid in front of the cops to save his own life. Of course, this doesn't seem to be the case - I'm just illustrating that we know nothing for certain.

It's more likely that this is another case of police brutality and incompetence. Ok. But we don't know for sure yet.

And when you are dealing with saving lives, some lives don't get saved. Some get endangered by people dealing with spur of the moment decisions. These people - doctors, cops, whatever - none of them are gods. They are infallible people who make mistakes. To vilify the whole profession for the sake of one (or 50) human beings is just irrational.

Why this doesn't happen in the 'burbs? Lots of reasons. Possibly economics, possibly racism, possibly lower amount of people living in close proximity. Possibly less violent crimes. Probably less hostility toward law enforcement. There are a multitude of reasons why this happens less often in some places and more often in others. I don't think there is one concrete reason.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont know the US but I dont believe that there is as many cases of police incompetence and brutality as there are reported or believed.

There is a lot of social incompetence or regular brutality, when dealing with this its only reasonable to expect that mistakes get made. That's where I place the blame in the communities themselves, if there's no adults or older peers or anyone behaving like a responsible role model then its what you get. When outsiders have to intervene to establish some sort of law and order it may not be well received but the community isnt generating it themselves, like in the 'burbs.

If there's racism involved then surely, especially if there's a life of a child at stake, you behave extra cautiously, behave compliant, be clever not "hard".

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I dont know the US but I dont believe that there is as many cases of police incompetence and brutality as there are reported or believed.
    Well, this one is touchy. In certain areas, at certain times in my life, this was very much incorrect. Brutality and racism was de rigeur and it was bad. I've lived in the roughest parts of Brooklyn and have seen with my own eyes numerous instances of police harassment and brutality. It seems like these types of cases are fewer and further between now, though. If this was still Crown Heights in the 80s, I'd disagree with you. But now? I just think you are correct. There are still isolated incidents but it's nowhere near what is was 20 years ago. And it's truly the fault of the police for breaking the trust of its citizens - but it's still not 1986 anymore.

There is a lot of social incompetence or regular brutality, when dealing with this its only reasonable to expect that mistakes get made. That's where I place the blame in the communities themselves, if there's no adults or older peers or anyone behaving like a responsible role model then its what you get. When outsiders have to intervene to establish some sort of law and order it may not be well received but the community isnt generating it themselves, like in the 'burbs.

If there's racism involved then surely, especially if there's a life of a child at stake, you behave extra cautiously, behave compliant, be clever not "hard".
    I couldn't agree more. I live in Bed-Stuy which is historically very very rough. And it still is. I hear gunshots out of my window almost every evening. But the neighborhood has been changing over the past decade. There are housing projects around the corner filled with people who have just given up on maintaining society. Drugs, guns, prostitution run rampant in that small area. And then there is my quiet block full of condo owners and brownstoners, small business owners living next to low-income but persevering people. What makes one group of people so different from the other? We are all the same color, we all live in the same neighborhood. What's the difference between us? I just don't think we can blame the cops for everything. They enter extremely dangerous situations where citizens are armed. And they keep my neighborhood safe from the pimps and dealers around the corner.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Absolutely correct, why doesnt it happen in the 'burbs? They less likely to resist police? Less likely to attract police attention?

I dont get what the judgement being passed in the OP is.
    There's no history of police brutality in the suburbs, and as a result, people raised there don't generally fear the police. They may not like the police, but they don't fear that their children will be innocently killed by a police officer. Sometimes it's not about resistance; compliance can get you killed too. Outrage will become the expected reaction when suburbanites more frequently become the victims.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Justice View Post
    There's no history of police brutality in the suburbs, and as a result, people raised there don't generally fear the police. They may not like the police, but they don't fear that their children will be innocently killed by a police officer. Sometimes it's not about resistance; compliance can get you killed too. Outrage will become the expected reaction when suburbanites more frequently become the victims.
    Do you expect suburbanites to become victims more frequently? I'm not sure I'm following what you are trying to express.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

That child could have grown up to be the next Jack the Ripper. Better to nip it in the bud.

Oberon

This situation did not require a SWAT team doing a dynamic entry. This was a case of soldier-boy wanna-be cops wanting to use their fancy toys.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Guns kill people.
    In this case, a cop's gun killed people. What do you make of that?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    This situation did not require a SWAT team doing a dynamic entry. This was a case of soldier-boy wanna-be cops wanting to use their fancy toys.
    This also seems very likely.