User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Sad? That's not even sad, that's outrageous. I've always held the opinion that cops are as much enemies of civil society as criminals, these are the situations that confirm my view. If I were her father I would relentlessly try to kill all those "cops".

It's counter-productive if all the icky details are disseminated to the public though, no?
    Lol, what? You mean it's just better if people don't know that cops like to kill innocents?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Sad? That's not even sad, that's outrageous. I've always held the opinion that cops are as much enemies of civil society as criminals, these are the situations that confirm my view. If I were her father I would relentlessly try to kill all those "cops".
    So these relatively isolated incidents (taking into account the heavy work-load of legitimate help and assistance that cops offer on a daily basis) "confirm" your view that cops are a nuisance to civility and are on par with rapists, thieves and murderers? That's some funny material!

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Lol, what? You mean it's just better if people don't know that cops like to kill innocents?
    Yep, that's exactly what I said!

If that's really what you've taken away from this story, that "cops like to kill innocents", then discussing anything further with you is obviously a massive waste of time.

What I meant was that if law enforcement legitimately screws something up through error, it absolutely should be dealt with, but best if it's internally (if it can be kept that way). Nobody wins when something botched makes news headlines. It raises suspicion, fingers are pointed and hostility is embedded. Why offer that?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

It's completely legitimate to point fingers and be suspicious of the police - they kill innocent people every so often, I could be one of them. I've been continuously victim (just like most guys of my age) of police harassment since I was 14, probably I've just been lucky not to be shot dead yet.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm not out to defend people that suck and abuse their power but it's not fair to put down a person that does an honest job, as thousands and thousands of men and women do day in and day out, with little to no appreciation. That's what you do when you throw a blanket on the job and label them all as crooks and some sort of evil force. It's a pretty immature view/opinion to have and definitely short sighted of the bigger picture.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't care about the bigger picture when I risk being killed for no reason.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I'm not out to defend people that suck and abuse their power but it's not fair to put down a person that does an honest job, as thousands and thousands of men and women do day in and day out, with little to no appreciation. That's what you do when you throw a blanket on the job and label them all as crooks and some sort of evil force. It's a pretty immature view/opinion to have and definitely short sighted of the bigger picture.
    Agreed. I'm a little disturbed at the tendency of a large segment of the population to just cynically assume that all police are corrupt.

We just don't know what happened here in this case. I'm extremely uncomfortable vilifying anyone without any evidence, just because "stuff like this happens all the time."
    Something Witty

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Guns kill people.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INFP

Militarization of the police is a huge problem in the US. And these kind of things are becoming more and more frequent.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCYiJTl1Xg"]SWAT raid[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    How should we avoid such an occurrence in the future? It seems as though, given the nature of the world, such things would happen from time to time; however unfortunate it may be...
    In England, police used to be unarmed.
    It was a time of low crime record.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    No, you're right. It doesn't.

But on the other hand, if cops raid your apartment looking for someone who murdered a child, you probably shouldn't try to fight them off physically. Stay calm and fight it out in court later if you think it's unjustified. Especially if there is a 7 year old child in the room.
    Absolutely correct, why doesnt it happen in the 'burbs? They less likely to resist police? Less likely to attract police attention?

I dont get what the judgement being passed in the OP is.