half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Well, you'd think the police would do a little research to figure out a way to arrest the suspect without putting children in danger. But it seems that isn't even on their radar. They're only sorry after the fact.
    They definitely have protocol for avoiding situations where children are killed - arrest warrants are executed all the time without incident.

If what they say is true, then a person got into an altercation with the police (perhaps to protect the suspect??) and didn't think about the child in the room.

If what they say isn't true, then one cop overreacted and ironically killed a child while looking for a child killer.

I wouldn't say that this incident is representative of all police raids.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    It's a shitty job that isn't black and white and it's almost like you have to walk on pins and needles due to the nature of the work and the fact that you're dealing with delicate situations on a daily basis. Mistakes will be made continuously, no matter how good your planning and intentions are. It's counter-productive if all the dirty icky details are disseminated though, no? Too bad you can't really trust man, but I think ideally it should be left up to internal to deal with the dirt that's scraped up... A necessary evil if you will.
    Kind of like the finance industry policing itself?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Notice I said "ideally". I still don't think scorn upon the city's law enforcement is productive at all to any side though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I get what he is saying. As civilians, we can't possibly understand what a situation like that is like. Putting your life in risk to detain a killer. You have no idea what you are walking in to. Neighbors may tell you there are kids in the house, but the neighbors could be the lookouts. Or crack dealers. Who the hell knows? You can't just take someone's word when you are dealing with a violent criminal.

And this situation with the grenades may have been smoke and mirrors for the cameras, or it may have been warranted - but only other cops can know that. I can't possibly know why they take the measures that they take.

I am in no way agreeing with the way things are handled in most precincts. Living in Brooklyn, I've run into my fair share of power hungry cops. In fact, I just had an altercation last week. I am not a fan of those who abuse power.

But in a situation like this, an internal review board is the most logical choice to conduct such an investigation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Notice I said "ideally". I still don't think scorn upon the city's law enforcement is productive at all to any side though.
    I lean more towards outrage. I've seen how they can be when they believe you are a bad guy and as a tiny white woman in an okay neighborhood, I can just imagine what it's like for a black family in Detroit. It's not right and it won't change if we just pat them on the back and let them keep doing things the same way. They have to be held accountable for abuses of power.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTx

They have to be held accountable for abuses of power.
    I couldn't agree more! What does that have to say for this story though? There's so many people ready to jump at the neck of these cops, when 9 times out of 10, civilians just aren't going to understand and see it from the proper angle.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I lean more towards outrage. I've seen how they can be when they believe you are a bad guy and as a tiny white woman in an okay neighborhood, I can just imagine what it's like for a black family in Detroit. It's not right and it won't change if we just pat them on the back and let them keep doing things the same way. They have to be held accountable for abuses of power.
    Do you think the child was shot because some cop wanted to prove a point? Do you think it could have been a legitimate and tragic accident?

Whether it was the fault of the 46 year old woman or the cop - I think the consensus was that it was an accident.

And yes, someone should definitely be held accountable, but I don't see how that was an abuse of power. The DA asked for the warrant, and the courts gave it to them. It wasn't like the cops were in a conspiracy to kill a little girl.

MBTI
    ISTx

Right, to believe the cop just wanted to pop a round off at a kid is pretty damn absurd. Let's at least accept that she was killed in what turned out to be a tragic accident.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think anyone is saying that. I do believe it was an accident. A foolhardy, completely preventable accident, based on what we know right now. I'm open to changing that opinion if more facts come out that warrant a change.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ISTx

That's where I leave it as well... I wish to see more facts.