User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default I have been wondering about this.

An American girl gets a soda dumped over her by a passerby while studying in Spain while having a conversation in an American accent.

A British girl mercilessly teased because she's been to school in the states. A girl with dual American-Canadian citizenship gets the same fate.

How is this justified?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

It is unjustifiable.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

it's not justifiable...it is not shocking however.

discrimination exists in some form or another everywhere to almost everyone. it's the same as someone accusing an arab of being a terrorist. it's not justifiable, but it is not alien/foreign/shocking

it's not the most uncommon, but it's not very common, is it? the whole upper western sphere is more and more integrated. europeans listen to lady gaga and etc. even asia is becoming more westernized.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I just don't think I want to study abroad anymore because the hate seems to keep growing instead of dissappating.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I just don't think I want to study abroad anymore because the hate seems to keep growing instead of dissappating.
    I wouldn't worry. I'm a foreigner and no-one hates on me. The media dedicate themselves to reporting the worst of humanity.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I wouldn't worry. I'm a foreigner and no-one hates on me. The media dedicate themselves to reporting the worst of humanity.
    I've heard this from friends, not the media. :/ Where are you, anyway?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    An American girl gets a soda dumped over her by a passerby while studying in Spain while having a conversation in an American accent.

A British girl mercilessly teased because she's been to school in the states. A girl with dual American-Canadian citizenship gets the same fate.

How is this justified?
    This is justified by anti-Americanism. But those who are most pro-American or anti-American are Americans themselves.

And for better or worse Americans sell their popular culture to the world. And so we copy you. Even your anti-Americanism.

So we are never more American than when we are being pro or anti-American.

They say the best way to defeat terrorism is to ignore it, and the best way to defeat Americanism is to ignore it.

But globalisation is now Americanisation, matched by global jihad.

MBTI
    INxJ

It's common for people to rag on foreigners. It sucks, but you can't put your life on hold because a few people think less of you. If you think you're going to be in physical danger... I have no answer to that.

I don't recommend being not white in Spain or Russia.

I actually like American and Americans, dont like some of their foreign policy and I'm from a country which is culturally different from the US but I think its good there is an alternative in the US to Europe and I'm not dumb enough to pretend that US hegemony doesnt have benefits for the UK and Ireland.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

From my travels, ive noticed that often such despicable behavior is directly proportional to the ethnic/religious/linguistic uniformity of the country.

the less multicultural it is, the more often we see such events. But then again my viewpoint is but a generalization, as there are many other factors which play into this.
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.