User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely - CNN.com

It's not often that I agree with Scalia, but I do in this case. He held a dissenting opinion.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Oh boy. I agree with Scalia and Thomas.
    That doesn't happen too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely - CNN.com

It's not often that I agree with Scalia, but I do in this case. He held a dissenting opinion.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't like it, but it's difficult to know what to do with people that are dangerous to the most vulnerable members of society and virtually impossible to reform.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't like it, but it's difficult to know what to do with people that are dangerous to the most vulnerable members of society and virtually impossible to reform.
    Cant knock room, board and guard for the rest of your days at someone elses expense. Sex offenders cant be reformed, the ones which can be are out of there, the prisons dont want to keep a single man or woman longer than they have to at the additional expense and trouble it involves.

Most of these guys, I presume its guys, in the UK its predominantly males who offend and reoffend, would probably be lynched if everyone knew their crimes and they'd deserve it too. So indefinite detention is doing them a favour.

I'm serious, just one of these sort of people is an incident comit their behaviour can probably be used to predict the social and psychological illness of communities for at least three generations.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    1. Release non-violent drug offenders.

2. Increase the sentences for sex offenses to life.

3. Use those empty cells to house sex offenders for life.

This ruling is not going to solve anything.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I don't understand. If prison is a rehab system, it makes sense to keep those that haven't been rehabbed until they are. But I'm a bit of a psycho in that I think if you commit certain crimes you sort of forfeit most of your human rights.

MBTI
    INTP

Holding any American citizen prisoner beyond the period in which they were originally sentenced under the law as it then existed, for no reason other than likelihood of recidivism, seems blatantly unconstitutional to me. I'm glad that Scalia and Thomas, at least, were willing to give an unpopular but principled decision.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I don't understand. If prison is a rehab system, it makes sense to keep those that haven't been rehabbed until they are. But I'm a bit of a psycho in that I think if you commit certain crimes you sort of forfeit most of your human rights.
    When did prison become a rehab system? I thought it was part of the justice system.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I would have to second that. I've always found it weird that someone can get 25 years for a drug offense or some sort of financial fraud, tax evasion etc but you can rape a bunch of little children or adults for that matter and get out in 3 to 5 years to repeat the process? I guess the moral of the story seems to be don't mess with our money but short of that you can do whatever else you want...

I agree with Thomas and Scalia.
    It's not in the article, but I would like to know the process, or criteria, that is used to determine if an offender will be dangerous in the future.