User Tag List

First 345

Results 41 to 48 of 48

  1. #41
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    ...again, (or one more time, if you will)

    This is not about the ability for sex offenders to be held indefinitely. This is about Congress' power to make statutes that apply among all the states over such issues. Breyer's opinion specifically stated that this holding makes no determination whether it is substantively unconstitutional on other grounds.

    If you want to bitch about the policy, bitch at Congress for passing the law in the first place. Save your salvos for when the SCOTUS rules on its 5th and 8th Amendment merits. It'll most likely be overturned on those grounds 6-3, with Roberts, Alito and Kennedy dissenting, and Scalia and Thomas concurring on the judgment, but not the opinion.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    ...again, (or one more time, if you will)

    This is not about the ability for sex offenders to be held indefinitely. This is about Congress' power to make statutes that apply among all the states over such issues. Breyer's opinion specifically stated that this holding makes no determination whether it is substantively unconstitutional on other grounds.

    If you want to bitch about the policy, bitch at Congress for passing the law in the first place. Save your salvos for when the SCOTUS rules on its 5th and 8th Amendment merits. It'll most likely be overturned on those grounds 6-3, with Roberts, Alito and Kennedy dissenting, and Scalia and Thomas concurring on the judgment, but not the opinion.
    I started the thread and the thread is about whatever I want to make it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #43
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Have a little girl lie and say you touched her pee-pee.

    Blame the Feds.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  4. #44
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I started the thread and the thread is about whatever I want to make it.
    Not with a misleading title like that, you can't.

  5. #45
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Not with a misleading title like that, you can't.
    Hey, CNN or any other major news outlet would never mislead.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  6. #46
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Not with a misleading title like that, you can't.
    I copied CNN's title, blame them.

    As for the scope the of the ruling, just a few months ago the Supreme court overstepped its bounds on the corporate campaign contributions ruling. The Supreme court follows no rules, just their own whims.

    Shouldn't you be studying so you can pass the bar and provide nothing of value to society?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #47
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I copied CNN's title, blame them.

    As for the scope the of the ruling, just a few months ago the Supreme court overstepped its bounds on the corporate campaign contributions ruling. The Supreme court follows no rules, just their own whims.

    Shouldn't you be studying so you can pass the bar and provide nothing of value to society?
    It's not nice to blame two-year-olds for getting themselves hurt. And clearly, CNN has that level of self-control.

    Umm... no they didn't. As much as I think Citizens United was a load of shit, it's entirely unsurprising given the makeup of the court. Now, that Congress can't do anything about getting an amendment passed to mop that crap up... that's where our government's broken.

    Besides, it's summer vacation. And unless you're working in a factory or a farm, we can safely say that the same accusation most likely applies to you.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's not nice to blame two-year-olds for getting themselves hurt. And clearly, CNN has that level of self-control.

    Umm... no they didn't. As much as I think Citizens United was a load of shit, it's entirely unsurprising given the makeup of the court. Now, that Congress can't do anything about getting an amendment passed to mop that crap up... that's where our government's broken.

    Besides, it's summer vacation. And unless you're working in a factory or a farm, we can safely say that the same accusation most likely applies to you.
    The Supreme court did not have to overturn McCain-Feingold. They could have ruled on the case at hand without overturning that legislation. They chose to overturn McCain-Feingold.

    They choose to overturn or not overturn legislation at their whim, not because of some procedure they have a duty to execute.

    I'm an electrical engineer, but you already knew that.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. India Supreme Court reopens case on decriminalising gay sex
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2016, 10:15 AM
  2. Iowa supreme court upholds woman's firing for being too attractive.
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12-24-2012, 05:24 PM
  3. Should sex offenders be treated humanely?
    By 5231311252 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 02:23 AM
  4. How Intuitives can be better with money...
    By The Ü™ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 09:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO