User Tag List

First 2345 Last

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Have a little girl lie and say you touched her pee-pee.

Go to jail forever.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's a bad policy regardless of how long or under what circumstances it's been carried out.
    It might be bad policy. But America is a constitutional republic. So the foremost question is if it is constitutional. If it is constitutional than the policy arguments need to play out in their proper arena... the legislative branch, not the judicial branch. If people think the statute is bad policy then they can lobby congress to change it.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    It might be bad policy. But America is a constitutional republic. So the foremost question is if it is constitutional. If it is constitutional than the policy arguments need to play out in their proper arena... the legislative branch, not the judicial branch. If people think the statute is bad policy then they can lobby congress to change it.
    Thanks for the civics lesson. I didn't know any of this.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Lasting_Pain

Don't worry there extended stay will be payed for by your tax-dollars. I guess prisons is a synonym for hotels these days.

Also due to overcrowding expect to see over prisoners released due to sex offenders being kept after their time is done.

And if that does not worry you................... this is gradualism at its finest. Next thing you know we will keep murders indefinitely, etc etc.. to finally if you commit a misdemeanor you may never been seen again.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Thanks for the civics lesson. I didn't know any of this.
    I don't know you that well but, I imagine your being facetious.

To further the lesson... Generally the supreme court should not make decisions based on issues which have not been raised by the parties. In this case the sex offenders did not raise the due process rights issue. They only argued the establishment clause issue.

Which means that the court's hands were tied to make this decision solely on the issue of whether or not the federal government had the same power as the states to civilly commit sex offenders after they have finished their sentence. Which has nothing to do with most of the problems people have had with this decision.

That being said I still don't know if I agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    Don't worry there extended stay will be payed for by your tax-dollars. I guess prisons is a synonym for hotels these days.
    My understanding is that these guys are not being kept in prisons, but are being committed to mental institutions... mental institutions are generally far worst than prison. This is why the insanity defense is not a get of jail free card.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

They did not rule that sex offenders can be held indefinitely. They ruled that the statute cannot be overturned on federalism grounds, and that such legislation falls within Congress' necessary and proper clause powers. Thomas and Scalia dissented because they think that the necessary and proper clause is a truism, and that it can only be invoked to specifically provide for the enumerated Article I, Section 8 powers.

We can talk about whether sex offenders can be held indefinitely on the remand, when the plaintiff makes due process and 8th Amendment claims.

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    My understanding is that these guys are not being kept in prisons, but are being committed to mental institutions... mental institutions are generally far worst than prison. This is why the insanity defense is not a get of jail free card.
    The insanity defense is a myth dude. Only 1 percent of all murder cases use the insanity defense. Now take that 1 one percent imagine that 95% of the 1 percent will lose their case.

But if you watch the news they would make you believe that all murderers use the insanity defense.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

What the hell is the reasoning behind a prison sentence that doesn't end when the allotted time has expired? Prisons officials can arbitrarily decide to keep people imprisoned after their sentences have ended because they expect them to repeat their crimes?

What if we did this with other crimes? "Sorry, buddy--I know you just finished serving 3 years for shoplifting, but we think you're gonna do it again if we let you go, so why don't you just hang around here until...well, whenever we feel like letting you go? K? Thanks."

What utter bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Have a little girl lie and say you touched her pee-pee.

Go to jail forever.
    This.

Rarely does anyone give much voice to the serious problem of false rape accusation. Anybody hear about the recent case with Ben Roethlisberger and a girl in Athens, GA saying she "thinks he might have raped her"? How the fuck do you think you "might have" been raped? Either you were raped and you know you were raped, or you weren't. "I got drunk and made a bad decision that I regret" doesn't translate into "This guy should go to jail for 15 to 20."

Women, if you get drunk and make a poor decision, take some fucking responsibility for it. Don't send an innocent man to prison because you're too irresponsible to watch your alcohol consumption at a damn frat party.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    The insanity defense is a myth dude. Only 1 percent of all murder cases use the insanity defense. Now take that 1 one percent imagine that 95% of the 1 percent will lose their case.

But if you watch the news they would make you believe that all murderers use the insanity defense.
    agreed. That was the point I was trying to make.

Also, onemoretime is far more succinct than I.