User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    When did prison become a rehab system? I thought it was part of the justice system.
    I'm sorry but the only thing more laughable than rehab is justice.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I agree with Thomas and Scalia.
    It's not in the article, but I would like to know the process, or criteria, that is used to determine if an offender will be dangerous in the future.
    This is a good point too. You shouldn't be able to just hold a person without probable cause. I do think repeating the offense even once should be an automatic trip to prison indefinitely though considering the type of damage that kind of thing does to the victims.

Oberon

I don't think any person ought to be incarcerated longer than the length of time to which they have been sentenced under due process. If you want to keep them in jail for life without parole, sentence them to life without parole... otherwise, no.

Because if you don't do things this way, you hand the government a tool they can use to keep people in jail for as long as they want to. And if you think this tool would only ever be used against people who molest children, well... I humbly disagree.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't think any person ought to be incarcerated longer than the length of time to which they have been sentenced under due process. If you want to keep them in jail for life without parole, sentence them to life without parole... otherwise, no.

Because if you don't do things this way, you hand the government a tool they can use to keep people in jail for as long as they want to. And if you think this tool would only ever be used against people who molest children, well... I humbly disagree.
    also a good point, and I'm no lawyer, so I basically assumed that they were planning to make this apply to the sentencing hearings - sort of like the no tolerance laws they came up with regarding drugs. If not then something like that would be a very bad idea for the reasons you've just mentioned.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm sorry but the only thing more laughable than rehab is justice.
    I don't share this sentiment, but maybe prisons are different where you live. In the US, they're more likely to further criminalize than to rehabilitate.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    1. Release non-violent drug offenders.

2. Increase the sentences for sex offenses to life.

3. Use those empty cells to house sex offenders for life.

This ruling is not going to solve anything.
    That sounds like a much better idea than this ruling to me, too.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yep, I'm on board with that plan as well. This SCOTUS ruling is way too loosey-goosey for me. People should serve what they're sentenced to. Sentence them to more time if they need more time.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

The irony is that sex offenders are actually LESS likely to re-offend than most other types of criminals.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

A number of sex offenders find they have a hard time surviving a stint in the general population the first time around. Seems your average gang of respectable thugs considers child molestation beyond the pale.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I don't understand. If prison is a rehab system, it makes sense to keep those that haven't been rehabbed until they are. But I'm a bit of a psycho in that I think if you commit certain crimes you sort of forfeit most of your human rights.
    Yeah, but how do you judge or measure how rehabbed someone is?