User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default The only way to defeat Terrorism is to ignore it

This was the debate on the radio the other day, a former government official had to play devils advocate and argue against his own policies, I havent made up my mind for sure but I do think that terrorists and politicians alike try to control the media and coverage of crimes and atrocities.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Both need mass support.

Is that what you are saying from your title?

India has those terrorist Maos but they are supposedly defending the tribal rural populations, the terrorist Chechens in Russia want independence, each terrorist group have an agenda and ignoring it won't do anything, would only make them escalate their violence so that they do gain attention, those agendas need to be resolved. Terrorists are not monsters; they are trying to change something.

MBTI
    INFP

As long as satisfactory precautionary measures are taken to ensure the safety of citizens, I would agree.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

The only way to defeat Terrorism is to ignore it
    Maybe in pure political theory. But I doubt that the reality works this way.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    As long as satisfactory precautionary measures are taken to ensure the safety of citizens, I would agree.

Yes, but can we actually call this "ignoring" ?

MBTI
    INFP

My point exactly. I don't agree.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Terrorists bring to light social/political/economic problems; no one becomes a terrorist just to blow someone's daughter up because they have nothing else to do. They are rational and calculated and purposely chose the method because it works. Don't appease them; but it is inefficient to ignore them. Perhaps don't focus on the terrorists but focus on the issues that fostered these terrorist groups. The media wants to paint them as irrational monsters but they are not - they are all human who turned to desperate, cruel methods for issues that we can all relate in some way - though we would never set a bus full of soldiers on fire. There are governments (obviously) who mistreat a minor group of people without any military power and from this group emerges terrorists - I don't condone violence - but the group is being single-handedly demolished and ignored by the powerful government - there is coherent reasoning behind it.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

It's not something that can be ignored. Governments serve to protect the citizens, most especially from threats of physical violence, both internal and external. If terrorists knew the government weren't doing anything, they would simply increase attacks. This in turn would cause civil unrest which would then result in government action, or vigilante action, or both. Now you're in an even worse position. It's unfortunate but it has to be dealt with.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I agree that giving terrorists media attention is to give them legitimacy. They don't deserve that much attention.
    Another approach that I've been thinking about is to offer to give the terrorists everything that they want. They don't expect that. This will confuse the heck out of them. If you deprive them of an enemy, they will be lost. They'll have to... um... get real jobs... and you can't be a very good terrorist if you have to be at work at 8:30 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This was the debate on the radio the other day, a former government official had to play devils advocate and argue against his own policies, I havent made up my mind for sure but I do think that terrorists and politicians alike try to control the media and coverage of crimes and atrocities.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post

Another approach that I've been thinking about is to offer to give the terrorists everything that they want. They don't expect that. This will confuse the heck out of them. If you deprive them of an enemy, they will be lost. They'll have to... um... get real jobs... and you can't be a very good terrorist if you have to be at work at 8:30 a.m.

Another nice strategy but I am afraid that majority of people simply don't want what the terrorists do. Not even close actually.