User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Sniffles

Banning Gerry Adams's face from British TV didnt seem to stop the IRA.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Banning Gerry Adams's face from British TV didnt seem to stop the IRA.
    Actually they didn't ban his face, they banned his VOICE. He could appear on TV, but his words had to be read by an actor or subtitled. The sheer novelty of the situation led to disinterested people being more curious about what he had to say than they probably otherwise would have been. The (well publicised) fact that his voice couldn't be heard naturally led people to suppose that he might be saying something that was worth hearing.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this is relevant, as though the IRA have been an organisation with a history of terror tactics, a politician making statements is not actually conducting a terrorist attack, whatever his sympathies with those who do.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Smile

As I write, President Barack Obama has called together the largest meeting of world leaders since the formation of the United Nations.

And they have one purpose and that is to keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of the jihadi.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

while drinking beer.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Actually they didn't ban his face, they banned his VOICE. He could appear on TV, but his words had to be read by an actor or subtitled. The sheer novelty of the situation led to disinterested people being more curious about what he had to say than they probably otherwise would have been. The (well publicised) fact that his voice couldn't be heard naturally led people to suppose that he might be saying something that was worth hearing.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this is relevant, as though the IRA have been an organisation with a history of terror tactics, a politician making statements is not actually conducting a terrorist attack, whatever his sympathies with those who do.
    I've got to agree with that, the party which Adams led could be talked to and negotiated with, their goal wasnt terror, and the IRA which they where linked with used terror and tried to terrorise, that's for sure, but again it was a means rather than an end in itself.

Adams talked up, even before the peace process, about how he'd want to reduce the money going to the "military" campaign and instead channel it into the political campaign, while I dont doubt he and others in his party where gun slingers too they created the party after the paramiltaries already existed with the goal of one day replacing the paramilitaries with the party. It was the days of marxist-leninism and vanguards and all.

Its a completely different beast from political islam, even if the CIA fact book states that the IRA and Adams party aimed for political catholicism.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

The only way to defeat Terrorism is to ignore it
    Lark, you're a funny man!

:yim_rolling_on_the_

MBTI
    INxJ

Because ignoring what often puts certain groups into their positions and how they react now has really helped us throughout history.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    Lark, you're a funny man!

:yim_rolling_on_the_
    Did you not understand my post or intentionally take that out of context?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Um, no. Firstly, how do you expect to end terrorism founded in a religion? If you tried to give them what they wanted, you would have an even bigger threat to deal with, the people who's rights will be taken away.

Secondly, give them an inch and they will take a mile.

If terrorists are going to get anything they want, then I'm going to become a terrorist because I want a phat house.
    If you're going to destabilize society in order to get one I'd say it's a good deal for the government.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    If you're going to destabilize society in order to get one I'd say it's a good deal for the government.
    I am goin to assume that this comment was anti-government since that's what it looks like. If I interpreted it incorrectly, forgive me.

Are you implying that the government is the cause of depraved behavior?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...