First 1234 Last

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    I agree that giving terrorists media attention is to give them legitimacy. They don't deserve that much attention.
    Another approach that I've been thinking about is to offer to give the terrorists everything that they want. They don't expect that. This will confuse the heck out of them. If you deprive them of an enemy, they will be lost. They'll have to... um... get real jobs... and you can't be a very good terrorist if you have to be at work at 8:30 a.m.
    Um, no. Firstly, how do you expect to end terrorism founded in a religion? If you tried to give them what they wanted, you would have an even bigger threat to deal with, the people who's rights will be taken away.

Secondly, give them an inch and they will take a mile.

If terrorists are going to get anything they want, then I'm going to become a terrorist because I want a phat house.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Another approach that I've been thinking about is to offer to give the terrorists everything that they want. They don't expect that. This will confuse the heck out of them. If you deprive them of an enemy, they will be lost. They'll have to... um... get real jobs... and you can't be a very good terrorist if you have to be at work at 8:30 a.m.
    Naa I think that will lead to a never ending supply of new terrorists groups and/or an ever changing list of demands, why get a job when you can simply snap your fingers and someone will bring you whatever you want?

In my opinion an effective method of dealing with terrorists might be to stop announcing what we plan to do to them all over the fucking media, then taking our highly skilled people and most intelligent tacticians and focusing them on a mission to seek out and destroy terrorist groups via methods like assassinating their leaders and when they replace the dead leader assassinate the new one too. This has to be cheaper than massive military campaigns... but oh wait that was only done to secure oil, not end terrorism since it never was about terrorism in the first place...

On second thought we should sell all the world's oil to the top terrorist so that the leading governments will start plotting ways to assassinate them and take their shit.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Terrorism isn't an entity, not even an ideology. It's best defined as a combat tactic, a form of asymetrical warfare. It may be possible to destroy the organisations that make use of terror tactics, or discredit the ideologies that underpin them. The tactics themselves, however, will continue to be used as long as they're effective at what they set out to achieve; and will be ressurrected and refined as long as anyone has a reason to want to use them.

Speaking of defeating terrorism itself is therefore a non-sequitur. It may possible to render the tactic worthless, however, by looking at what it is setting out to achieve. Most terrorist acts are intended to cause disruption, gain publicity, and instil fear. If these ends are not likely to be atttained, organisations that promote the use of terrorism will have much less motivation to use them. Unfortunately, our present tendency to overreact means that they have everything to gain.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Lots of interesting posts that I'll think about.

I think if you've got a strategy and goals then perhaps you're a guerilla fighter rather than a terrorist, in the way that I would define it the perpetrators of violence have to have the sole of creating fear in order to qualify as terrorists. Although I know that's a bit broad and most serial killers would fit into that category too.

In practical terms if the present threat from Muslim theocrats where realised the terror
    wouldnt end, it would continue, only it would be institutionalised and carried out with the sanction of the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Terrorism isn't an entity, not even an ideology. It's best defined as a combat tactic, a form of asymetrical warfare. It may be possible to destroy the organisations that make use of terror tactics, or discredit the ideologies that underpin them. The tactics themselves, however, will continue to be used as long as they're effective at what they set out to achieve; and will be ressurrected and refined as long as anyone has a reason to want to use them.

Speaking of defeating terrorism itself is therefore a non-sequitur. It may possible to render the tactic worthless, however, by looking at what it is setting out to achieve. Most terrorist acts are intended to cause disruption, gain publicity, and instil fear. If these ends are not likely to be atttained, organisations that promote the use of terrorism will have much less motivation to use them. Unfortunately, our present tendency to overreact means that they have everything to gain.
    My thoughts exactly, this is also why I'm concerned when I see some of the attempts at mythologisation of the 9/11 atrocity (even the mythologisation of the Holocaust with things like Maus but that's a different thread) or plans for its commemoration, in a bizarre twisted way the authors of that atrocity would like it to live long in memory.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    My thoughts exactly, this is also why I'm concerned when I see some of the attempts at mythologisation of the 9/11 atrocity (even the mythologisation of the Holocaust with things like Maus but that's a different thread) or plans for its commemoration, in a bizarre twisted way the authors of that atrocity would like it to live long in memory.
    Personally I think remembering major events be they good or bad helps us to continue to learn from them and gives us the tools to either repeat or not repeat them in the future.

Terrorists want to instill fear I agree with that. So the way I see it they should be made to be afraid. Basically you fight their desire to bring fear to you by bringing fear to them. At the top of these organizations are the same kinds of low-life-cowards that we typically see taking advantage of certain social situations and their victims. I personally doubt that the people at the top of the terrorists organizations are even about the fundamentalist bullshit they spew.

Either way I wonder how many people would choose to be the top brass of a terrorist organization or even be associated with it if your life expectancy would be instantly reduced to something around 6 months after your join date. We certainly can't reason with them, and expecting them to stop on their own is foolish. We could attempt to raise our defenses but even that is impossible without violating the basic freedoms of every innocent citizen... So in my opinion seeking them out and neutralizing them is one of the only viable options we really have. Of course I don't see why that takes an entire military campaign when we have so much modern military technology to chose from.

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    Personally I think remembering major events be they good or bad helps us to continue to learn from them and gives us the tools to either repeat or not repeat them in the future.

Terrorists want to instill fear I agree with that. So the way I see it they should be made to be afraid. Basically you fight their desire to bring fear to you by bringing fear to them. At the top of these organizations are the same kinds of low-life-cowards that we typically see taking advantage of certain social situations and their victims. I personally doubt that the people at the top of the terrorists organizations are even about the fundamentalist bullshit they spew.

Either way I wonder how many people would choose to be the top brass of a terrorist organization or even be associated with it if your life expectancy would be instantly reduced to something around 6 months after your join date. We certainly can't reason with them, and expecting them to stop on their own is foolish. We could attempt to raise our defenses but even that is impossible without violating the basic freedoms of every innocent citizen... So in my opinion seeking them out and neutralizing them is one of the only viable options we really have. Of course I don't see why that takes an entire military campaign when we have so much modern military technology to chose from.
    Yeah, what age are you?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, what age are you?
    older than you think I'm sure. not that it matters.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

In a way I kind of agree in so far as large military offenses probably aren't the way to go, for every one person you kill/bomb you create a whole family of potential terrorists.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    Agreed.

[QUOTE]Terrorists want to instill fear I agree with that. So the way I see it they should be made to be afraid. Basically you fight their desire to bring fear to you by bringing fear to them. At the top of these organizations are the same kinds of low-life-cowards that we typically see taking advantage of certain social situations and their victims. I personally doubt that the people at the top of the terrorists organizations are even about the fundamentalist bullshit they spew.[/QOUTE]

Fear is the proxy to power. They seek authority through these forms of manipulation.

As for your fundementalist comment, I do believe that they are religious.

Yes, I found it funny that the entire U.S. Army couldn't find a couple of bearded shit-talkers hiding in a cave.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...