User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Quota for Women in Government

Are you aiming the 'you' in your post at me?

I was tossing a general question out there, a pondering if you will, I never said I felt empowered because I am a female. I was asking about the idea of feminism in it's broad sense since I have never studied it but I get snippets of it from my classmates and I am wondering how other people perceive feminism to be.

I get two somewhat contradicting ideas of feminism from my peers; one being that females have certain differences from males because of their biological programming, not society/nurture/environment influenced (there is something called feminist politics apparently where the idea of 'states' and 'territories' are pure male ideas, the idea made me go though it is interesting) and then there is the other viewpoint where people do not separate based on gender at all, for example women can do exactly what men can and vice versa and there is no such thing as biological programming, only society programming. Merely curious. And no, I have never bought the idea that women are more capable than men just because they are women. I am open to other viewpoints, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    One of the major arguments is that women are generally less aggressive and competitive so...politics would become more about diplomacy and warfare would be less because mothers...blah blah...
    Yeah that obviously was true with Catherine the Great, Dowager Empress Tzu Hsi, and Indira Ghandi. Such benevolent rulers they were!

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Or transsexuals or every other conceivable minority like gays or bi's and so on so that there's equal representation of everyone?
    Transsexuals? We've even managed that. Like I said these things can and should happen naturally.

You are right Kastuni, there are plenty of underrepresented minorities to consider not just women.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I'm against it. The right man or woman for the place that they have worked for.
    Nobody should go before anyone just because of what they have between their legs.
    Just food for thought.. but how far behind would africans still be in america if we hadn't had laws to help them get on their feet? The amount of women represented in politics is dismal, at best. We make up a little more than half the population.. and yet, we're under represented. Women have had a hard time of getting their feet in the door.

With that said, I'm still against this. Women are picking up seats all on their own, earning them just fine.. with the amount of females exceeding males currently in law schools, I think the number of women will continue to increase as well. Law school leads a lot of time to politics.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge