User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    I would like to see a law that requires competence in government officials (regardless of race, gender, disability, age etc). Quotas really bother me because I think the best person for the job should get the job period. That being said I'm not blind to the fact that we live in a very screwed up world and prejudice and discrimination do exist in many countries. So I think blind hirings would be better. Essentially everything accept the age, race, and gender of the potential applicants are submitted to a hiring committee that will then select a group of the most qualified applicants based on their qualifications alone. Interviews could be conducted blindly, we definitely have enough technology to ensure that nobody on the hiring committee knows the race, age, and gender of an applicant (questions could be ask via chat online or relayed via a 3rd party)... whatever, I'm sure people more creative than me could figure out a way to make something like that work for most situations.

Obviously there are situations where security clearances etc need to be obtained and something like what was mentioned above wouldn't be that easy to implement, however it could still be done with enough creativity to at least ensure that the selection of applicants from a possible pool of applicants is blind - thereby making whatever prejudices that may or may not be occurring during applicant selection a lot more obvious and easier to deal with.

Either way I doubt we'll see systems like that any time soon. People don't like to change and would rather legislate in quotas than equality and common sense. Such goes life in this world we live in.
    I agree, but I supported the Quota for women just because there exists some places in this country where any woman running for public office is looked down upon...unless she is self-effacing and joins the religious fundie bandwagon. Quotas in those places will at least have some effect as women who are really skilled, yet have no chance of running for public office due to the environment they are in, will have a chance.
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

We have way bigger problems in politics than gender equity. Female career politicians are just as prone to corruption as their male counterparts.

One interesting problem that such a quota would have in the U.S., by the way, is that it would be unconstitutional, especially because it would be about political office.

Oh, and how would one enforce the quota for singular positions such as president or governor? Trade it off every election cycle, perhaps? I might almost be for that, if it would serve as a back-door term limit.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Starsiege View Post
    I agree, but I supported the Quota for women just because there exists some places in this country where any woman running for public office is looked down upon...unless she is self-effacing and joins the religious fundie bandwagon. Quotas in those places will at least have some effect as women who are really skilled, yet have no chance of running for public office due to the environment they are in, will have a chance.
    It doesn't sound like you want gender equality, so much as you want to force the Red States to elect Democrats.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

If there aren't as many females as males in politics this could be interpreted that men are more power-hungry and women are more sensible.

There's always a different way to look at things.

I say, instead of instating a quota for women, we create a cap for men. Same effect, but gives a different message.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

Sniffles

contrary to popular belief, there has been more ethnic and gender diversity amongst Indian heads of states than amongst American or European countries.
    I wouldnt laud India as an exemplar of democracy really. Even so, you also have to take into account the differences between American/European countires and India as well. What works in one country may not work in another. As Joseph de Maistre cynically remarked, every country gets the government it deserves!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Posts about separation of church & state moved here.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTx

Reverse discrimination makes me twitchy.

Surely there's better ways to address inequalities than to place people we wouldn't vote for in office.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Sounds like a good idea but really, it seldom works out.

When you introduce special privileges to only certain groups of people, it always creates moral hazards and eventually proves to be more harmful than helpful. This is always the case, no matter how well meaning the intent is.

Promoting quotas as a solution is only a half truth. The other half is hard to present to an audience who will get bored with lengthy rationalizations.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

maybe, a better solution was to make 1/3, 1/3 (or some such number) quota to men and women. this might solve the claims of special preference

and would also ensure diversity.
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

maybe, a better solution was to make 1/3, 1/3 (or some such number) quota to men and women. this might solve the claims of special preference

and would also ensure diversity.
    Discrimination is discrimination. Even if you discriminate against everyone it's not alright.

If I own a bus company I can't say that on 50% of my busses black people have to sit in the back and on 50% of my busses white people have to sit at the back and call it equal.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it