User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 152

  1. #81
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    No if you're a christian fundamentalist you believe in a lot of other crazy things too. Aren't those crazies that go around crashing soldier's funerals a crazy homophobic fundamentalist Christian group? If you don't like that example I've probably got like a thousand other ones...
    Glad to see the angry athiests getting represented in the thread.

    So how's this Christ hating square with political islam? Oh, right, yeah...

  2. #82
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    Ahh but what about showing a cartoon in which we hypothesize what might have happened if Jesus' mother had had an abortion and as a result god himself decides to be gay and bathe in human stem cells? I'm not muslim so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that for them it's really against their religion to depict Mohammed. So really in christianity I'm not sure if there is a way to inflict the same insult although I think my example above might at least promote some outrage. Have some of you even watched the circus that is Fox news?
    Well you're right, its about giving insult, check if anyone, such as myself, who's highly insulted by what you just wrote is going to be screaming for your blood?

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Outrage, yes. Violent intimidation, not so much.

    Did that actually seem a good comparison in your head?
    Are you kidding? Violent intimidation of abortion doctors happens all the time in this country. Openly support it and see what happens.

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Glad to see the angry athiests getting represented in the thread.

    So how's this Christ hating square with political islam? Oh, right, yeah...
    why would you assume I'm an angry atheist? LOL! you people are proving my point for me. It's just words on an internet forum it doesn't mean I would actually make a cartoon like that or that I think all christians bash soldier's funerals but some fundamentalist christians do.

  5. #85
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    why would you assume I'm an angry atheist? LOL! you people are proving my point for me. It's just words on an internet forum it doesn't mean I would actually make a cartoon like that or that I think all christians bash soldier's funerals but some fundamentalist christians do.
    That's why.

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's why.
    okay, how else should I address two people on an internet forum claiming I hate christians. sigh... some people as in you people are truly ridiculous. Christians however I have no problem with...

  7. #87
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    Are you kidding? Violent intimidation of abortion doctors happens all the time in this country. Openly support it and see what happens.
    Openly support (or oppose) abortion and you usually get a tense and emotionally charged political, philosophical, and (sometimes) religious debate. Somehow, entertainment programs often feature pro-choice themes and many (like, uh, South Park) regularly include abortion as an object of humor without any apparent fear.

    Incidentally, I'm an agnostic and I derive a great deal of entertainment from humorous blasphemy-one of the reasons I'm a South Park fan.

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Openly support (or oppose) abortion and you usually get a tense and emotionally charged political, philosophical, and (sometimes) religious debate. Somehow, entertainment programs often feature pro-choice themes and many (like, uh, South Park) regularly include abortion as an object of humor without any apparent fear.

    Incidentally, I'm an agnostic and I derive a great deal of entertainment from humorous blasphemy-one of the reasons I'm a South Park fan.
    - Anti-abortion violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    - Abortion Doctor Gunned Down at Kansas Church, Suspect in Custody - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
    - Gays Kiss Amid Threats of Violence at Valentine's Action in Paris - Towleroad, More than gay news. More gay men

    I don't think the crazies responsible for these murders got the no violence from the fundamental christians allowed memo.

    The point is making a cartoon against a christian figure is considered a joke. For a muslim I believe that depicting mohammed is an actual sin, sort of the way christians view abortion and that might have something to do with why the fundamentalists are so politically charged about it. Violate one of the christian god's laws like say (have an abortion or be gay or do stem cell research) and you too might find yourself the recipient of death threats.

    so imho fundamentalist tend to be crazy when you violate their religious laws even if you aren't a member of their religion because it isn't like the christian fundamentalists are cool with non christians having abortions or being gay or doing stem cell research... So why should the muslim fundamentalists be okay with non muslims violating the laws of their god?

    I think there is some serious depth missing from why these fundamentalists are issuing death threats over a cartoon which some people are using to put forth the ridiculous idea that christian fundamentalists are somehow better and less violent than muslim ones - when the fact of the matter is they're not.

    "Muslims believe that it is a sin to depict Mohammed in art because they fear that believers will worship Mohammed or his picture instead of Allah. Some Muslims feel it is their religious duty persecute anyone that draws a picture of Mohammed, distributes pictures of him, or criticises him in any way. Consequently, non-Muslims are often threatened with violence if they draw or depict Mohammed. Some non-muslims in the West create and distribute drawings of Mohammed anyway, as they seek to exercise their right to free speech." - WikiAnswers - Picture of Muhammad

  9. #89
    Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What about this?




    Cardinal Cahal Daly, Former Leader of Irish Church, Dies at 92 - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com


    There was more then enough tensions between the IRA and the Church. Forget the name off hand, but one Catholic bishop famously claimed "Hell is not hot enough, nor eternity long enough" for its members.
    So what? The point is, I, as a young English person, have never heard them, just as many people say they've never heard Muslims do it. The only people I've seen condemning the IRA as Catholics are Irish politicians, because they're the only ones who get coverage that I would have seen. There are very few prominent Muslim politicians if any, and no one else of interest to the media, hence no coverage of the condemnation. The difference is that neither I, nor anyone else I know (at this time, anyway, I understand there used to be prejudice) thinks to themselves "I've seen only a few Catholics condemn the attacks, therefore most of them can't think it's that bad!"

  10. #90
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    So what?
    It clearly challenges your argument. The head of the Irish church condemned the IRA's violent activities, end of story.

Similar Threads

  1. is it possible to be a peaceful muslim?
    By Il Morto Qui Parla in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
  2. Teachers stage fake gun attack on kids
    By digesthisickness in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
  3. Conservative attacks on health confirmed
    By rivercrow in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
  4. "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" to be remade...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO