User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 152

  1. #71
    Senior Member JHBowden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3
    Posts
    201

    Default

    This is a classic example of a "crazy minority" - precisely, the US establishment - terrorizing the rest of the world, and this is what progressives must stand against and stand for the defeat of.
    To be a freedom fighter, you have to fight for freedom. Theocracy doesn't fit the bill.

    You progressives are complete idiots for showing solidarity with theocrats, since you're always the first to die when the religious crazies take over. For example, look at the Iranian revolution.

  2. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    To be a freedom fighter, you have to fight for freedom. Theocracy doesn't fit the bill.

    You progressives are complete idiots for showing solidarity with theocrats, since you're always the first to die when the religious crazies take over. For example, look at the Iranian revolution.
    "Progressivism was also imbued with strong political overtones and rejected the church as the driving force for change. Specific goals included:

    - The desire to remove corruption and undue influence from government through the taming of bosses and political machines;

    -the effort to include more people more directly in the political process;

    -the conviction that government must play a role to solve social problems and establish fairness in economic matters." - The Progressive Movement

    support of someone's right to practice their own religion is very inline with the goals of the progressive movement... just as fighting to stop religious crazies from taking over the government and legislating their bullshit is also very inline with the progressive movement... At least from the way I read this.

  3. #73
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    @ JHBowden

    Can you quote properly. It's getting annoying when you use snippets of what someone says, without going back to verify whether you have misrepresented what they have said. You've done this several times.

    Also, learn to use the multiquote. Thanks.

  4. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    ...is it so hard to not think in absolutes.....?
    apparently...

  5. #75
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Oh he rants like this about everybody....well except Australians! :rolli:
    He hasn't said much about Wales yet either. Maybe he will if they beat Australia in their next Rugby confrontation?

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    tcda--
    The entire spectacle is amusing; it is as if progressives, being the self-loathing masochists that they are, desperately need sadists to punish them. They believe the worst about their friends, while believing the best about their enemies, precisely because they're just too smart to believe in friends and enemies.
    Did you want to address the topic at some point, or are you more interested in venting your spleen at those of opposing political views? You could probably start up an "I hate Progressives" blog to do that if you enjoy it so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Broadly speaking, you're right. I've seen this situation too many times, and have been regularly accused of anti-Semitism simply because I support the pacifist association Shalom Arshav -"Peace now!"-. (La Paix Maintenant - Pr)

    But fact is that the videos provided here ARE a genuine display of Anti-Semitism.
    This is quite likely. Sadly my terrible connection forces me to reserve judgement on videos unless of exceptional interest, as it takes too long to view them all the way through.

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    2.) Your argument: "if Islamists are such a small minority then why should we bend over backwards for the"? I think it's the wrong way round. The question is why should we accept controls on civil liberties and trillions spent on wars and "defence", all to attack a small minority which poses no serious threat and is basically acting defensively?
    This is highly significant. Our own governements and oligarchies expanding their own power and decreasing their accountability can do far more to negatively impact our own freedoms and way of life, if we let them, than the worst attempts of the terrorists are ever likely to achieve. Intelligent people who believe their nation should be governed according to democratic and constitutional principles really ought to be able to appreciate this whereever they stand on the political spectrum. Let's not forget Franklin here:

    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    3.) We should not: there are economic and political interests behind this, and "terrorism" is the bogeyman to excuse them.
    And unless you're a believer in unaccountable, authoritarian governement, it is in your interests to oppose them.

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    4.) I don't know which "progressives" you are talking about who are cool with a "crazy minority" in charge terrorizing everyone else. The US "war on terror" was aimed at replacing hostile dictatorships withfriendly ones with a mass cost of lives and money; and with threatening dictatorships like Gadaffi and the Ba'athists in Syria so that they would become more pliant to US interests.
    As is ever the case. Besides the fact that Saddam was long past being a military threat to anyone, and had no clear associations with terrorrism, it's naive to suppose that they really care about how the people of the nations involved might or might not be suffering at the hands of their rulers. When Saddam was an effective bulwark against the bogeymen of Iran in the 80's, the western governments were fully supportive of him, despite the fact that they cannot possibly have failed to be aware of the atrocities he was committing at the time. I'm (just) old enough to remember the media coverage given to the Iran/Iraq conflict, and my child's memory, unfettered by any particular convictions either way at the time, recalls that Saddam was consistently portrayed as a "good guy" who was standing up for civilised interests in the region against the Mad Mullahs.

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    I would imagine that the point being made was that the Bible also features commands as savage as the Koran does, yet there is no assumption that every Jew and Christian believes in or even knows about these commands.

    There is actually a minority of Jewish people in Israel who do want to enforce the Torah as it's written and do commit acts of violence and terrorism. There are Christians in the USA who think the government should execute people for having gay sex, because of what the Bible says.

    However there is no assumption in the West that Christians and Jews are suspect soley because their holy book says such things. That's the double standard. Expecting that Muslims will have actually read the book they think the Creator of the universe wrote for them (and in a language they understand), instead of being just as flippant and lazy about it as the believers in the other Abrahamic religions are.
    Interesting, isn't it? The fact is that the majority of Muslims do not have any more in common with the extremists than most Christian or secular Westerners do with their own political and religious extremists. And yet still we hold them responsible, because we can categorise our own society far more accurately than we can theirs, and have difficulty recognising that Islamic society, theology, and philosophy encompasses perspectives quite as broad as our own, and often equally in conflict with each other. It seems a lot easier for many people to stereotype Muslims as all sharing a similar perspective than actually educating themselves, which only adds to the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Agreed. When the majority quietly accepts the actions of the minority it speaks to their true feelings of the matter. The majority accept the actions of the minority as acceptable even if they wouldn't take those actions themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Congratulations! A non sequitur and a straw man.

    Logic not a strong point, Feops?

    Maybe a quote from WB Yeats for good measure?
    It would doubtless come from "The Second Coming"

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    Anything goes as long as you do it half-way is a ridiculous principle. That's like saying-- Hezb'Allah, you can't kill every Jew in Israel, but perhaps we can compromise and let you exterminate half of the Jewish population. Absurd!

    Universal tolerance means we tolerate the intolerant. It is incoherent to say our core value is to have no core values; that's like saying we have no values at all. Are we autistic?
    Who is we? Me, you, "Conservatives", "Progressives", society in general? I'm not aware of anyone who holds quite such a ludicrous set of views as the ones you're attributing, so I'd be interested to know to whom exactly you're referring.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  6. #76
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    There is actually a minority of Jewish people in Israel who do want to enforce the Torah as it's written and do commit acts of violence and terrorism. There are Christians in the USA who think the government should execute people for having gay sex, because of what the Bible says.
    :rolli:

    And yet its amazing how, in a country with hundreds of millions of Christians, Comedy Central executives are not afraid to feature a cartoon in which Jesus Christ literally shits on the American flag, and yet they are scared shit-less (pun intended) about showing Mohammed in a fucking bear-suit.

  7. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    :rolli:

    And yet its amazing how, in a country with hundreds of millions of Christians, Comedy Central executives are not afraid to feature a cartoon in which Jesus Christ literally shits on the American flag, and yet they are scared shit-less (pun intended) about showing Mohammed in a fucking bear-suit.
    Good point, if you're a Christian fundamentalist you believe, possibly, in prayer in schools and sunday closing, in you're a Muslim fundamentalist you've got to kill anyone you think is dissing you, bit of a contrast there.

  8. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    :rolli:

    And yet its amazing how, in a country with hundreds of millions of Christians, Comedy Central executives are not afraid to feature a cartoon in which Jesus Christ literally shits on the American flag, and yet they are scared shit-less (pun intended) about showing Mohammed in a fucking bear-suit.
    Ahh but what about showing a cartoon in which we hypothesize what might have happened if Jesus' mother had had an abortion and as a result god himself decides to be gay and bathe in human stem cells? I'm not muslim so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that for them it's really against their religion to depict Mohammed. So really in christianity I'm not sure if there is a way to inflict the same insult although I think my example above might at least promote some outrage. Have some of you even watched the circus that is Fox news?

  9. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Good point, if you're a Christian fundamentalist you believe, possibly, in prayer in schools and sunday closing, in you're a Muslim fundamentalist you've got to kill anyone you think is dissing you, bit of a contrast there.
    No if you're a christian fundamentalist you believe in a lot of other crazy things too. Aren't those crazies that go around crashing soldier's funerals a crazy homophobic fundamentalist Christian group? If you don't like that example I've probably got like a thousand other ones...

  10. #80
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    So really in christianity I'm not sure if there is a way to inflict the same insult although I think my example above might at least promote some outrage.
    Outrage, yes. Violent intimidation, not so much.

    Did that actually seem a good comparison in your head?

Similar Threads

  1. is it possible to be a peaceful muslim?
    By Il Morto Qui Parla in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
  2. Teachers stage fake gun attack on kids
    By digesthisickness in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
  3. Conservative attacks on health confirmed
    By rivercrow in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
  4. "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" to be remade...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO