User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 152

  1. #61
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    I would imagine that the point being made was that the Bible also features commands as savage as the Koran does, yet there is no assumption that every Jew and Christian believes in or even knows about these commands.

    There is actually a minority of Jewish people in Israel who do want to enforce the Torah as it's written and do commit acts of violence and terrorism. There are Christians in the USA who think the government should execute people for having gay sex, because of what the Bible says.

    However there is no assumption in the West that Christians and Jews are suspect soley because their holy book says such things. That's the double standard. Expecting that Muslims will have actually read the book they think the Creator of the universe wrote for them (and in a language they understand), instead of being just as flippant and lazy about it as the believers in the other Abrahamic religions are.
    Exactly.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Feops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    No offense. But when the minority is spreading hate and violence, the majority sits and waits and takes no actions. I don't see the Muslim majority condemning the actions of terrorists. Atleast not loudly enough.
    Agreed. When the majority quietly accepts the actions of the minority it speaks to their true feelings of the matter. The majority accept the actions of the minority as acceptable even if they wouldn't take those actions themselves.

  3. #63
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Agreed. When the majority quietly accepts the actions of the minority it speaks to their true feelings of the matter. The majority accept the actions of the minority as acceptable even if they wouldn't take those actions themselves.
    Luckily for you this isn't true, because if it was you as a Canadian would be "colelctively responsible" for a hell of a lot of things.

    I wouldn't apply those standards to you, but it's a shame you apply them to others.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  4. #64
    Probably Most Brilliant Craft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    ...is it so hard to not think in absolutes.....?

  5. #65
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    *sigh* Like most other discussions on Islam, Im not bothering. I have enough nonsense to deal with just concerning Christianity!

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well... he spares France too!
    That's because you seduced him!

  6. #66
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    When the majority quietly accepts the actions of the minority it speaks to their true feelings of the matter.
    Congratulations! A non sequitur and a straw man.

    Logic not a strong point, Feops?

    Maybe a quote from WB Yeats for good measure?

  7. #67
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    I've never heard a Catholic - major Irish politicians excepted - publically condemn the actions of the IRA on behalf of their religion, and I've never known anyone think to ask them.
    What about this?
    Cardinal Daly, a native of County Antrim, was best known as a trenchant critic of the Irish Republican Army, the illegal paramilitary group rooted in Catholic areas that long sought to force Northern Ireland out of the United Kingdom.
    He served from 1982 to 1990 as the bishop of Down and Connor, which includes Belfast, the capital of Northern Ireland. He frequently used that pulpit to denounce the killings and policies of the group and its allied political party, Sinn Fein.

    “It’s plainly contradictory for the I.R.A. to be committed to violence as a way forward, and for Sinn Fein simultaneously to claim they are committed to the peace process,” Cardinal Daly said in 1996. “And it would be insane to plunge this country again into the madness and agony of the last 25 years from which we so recently escaped.”
    Cardinal Cahal Daly, Former Leader of Irish Church, Dies at 92 - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com


    There was more then enough tensions between the IRA and the Church. Forget the name off hand, but one Catholic bishop famously claimed "Hell is not hot enough, nor eternity long enough" for its members.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Feops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Sorry that my opinion isn't a popular one.

    I already started a topic on this some months in hopes of better understanding, and the feedback I got was that the majority isn't really all that sorry to see things like this happening. There is quiet assent behind a guise of being polite. I heard very little to the contrary.

    Tcda, I'd ask that you be more specific. You're speaking to political groups which isn't really the same thing. If I'm unhappy with my political group I'm more than willing to be vocal about it and/or change my vote, to which in larger numbers results in change. You could argue that no party is entirely clean, which is true, but that's really not the point.

  9. #69
    Senior Member JHBowden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Moderation in all things is still a requirement
    No! No! No! No! No!

    Anything goes as long as you do it half-way is a ridiculous principle. That's like saying-- Hezb'Allah, you can't kill every Jew in Israel, but perhaps we can compromise and let you exterminate half of the Jewish population. Absurd!

    Universal tolerance means we tolerate the intolerant. It is incoherent to say our core value is to have no core values; that's like saying we have no values at all. Are we autistic?

  10. #70

    Default

    I reckon cartoonists could get organised and go after Islam now, Matt Georing and Co. will be planning hits on Mosques any day now :P

Similar Threads

  1. is it possible to be a peaceful muslim?
    By Il Morto Qui Parla in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
  2. Teachers stage fake gun attack on kids
    By digesthisickness in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
  3. Conservative attacks on health confirmed
    By rivercrow in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
  4. "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" to be remade...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO