User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    so I'm not sure where you get the idea that fundamentalist christians are not capable of violence or terror but you're obviously not living in reality.
    I'm not sure where you get the idea that I have ever expressed such an opinion, but your reading comprehension is obviously lacking.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I'm not sure where you get the idea that I have ever expressed such an opinion, but your reading comprehension is obviously lacking.
    or maybe it's your communication skills.

MBTI
    INTP

or maybe it's your communication skills.
    Interesting theory; show me where my words led you to this misunderstanding.

MBTI
    INTJ

Interesting theory; show me where my words led you to this misunderstanding.
    1.) Those crazies are also deemed to be an extremely unlikely threat in relation to Islamic militants, despite the fact that Christians outnumber Muslims by about 150 to 1 in the United States.
    Tell this to my friend. I've personally heard about or witnessed violent attacks on gay people and women who have sought abortion and there is extra security at many labs that do stem cell research, but I personally have never been attacked by a muslim for not being muslim.

I don't think the crazies i.e. fundamental christians are an extremely unlikely threat if you're gay or planning on having an abortion. If you fall into one of those groups you're likely to have known or heard of someone that has been harassed, threatened, or even physically injured by a christian fundamentalist. Although I can't think of too many people walking down the street that have personally been part of a terrorist attack or been personally threatened by a terrorist outside their home or school.

Nobody has ever come up to me and said hey you're not covering your hair and you're doing man things so we are going to beat you to death. If a gay person walks in the wrong parts of some places this has and will happen to them.

Obviously terrorism is bad, but you're insane if you don't think religious fundamentalist subject people in this country to their own brand of terrorism, which unlike you I don't particularly find more tasteful than that which the muslim terrorist subject people to.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

And my (rather obvious) point is that a larger proportion of contemporary Muslims, particularly among the religiously observant population, have an illiberal interpretation of their religious texts than is the case with other religious groups.
    First of all, you can't conclude that from your observation that one particular religious offense evokes threats from Muslims and not Christians in the USA. Other religious offences do evoke threats, threatening behaviour and actual violence from some Christians in the USA.

Secondly, as someone who's known four Muslims and met several more, that seems far from the truth to me in my personal experience. They've all been the equivalent of either liberal or moderate Christians (not one was the equivalent even of the average Christian fundie/evangelical, let alone an extremist) in terms of attitude towards behaviours that don't affect other people but are forbidden by their texts, and about what you can and can't be sent to hell for, and obviously in terms of their thoughts on religious terrorism as well.

MBTI
    INTP

Tell this to my friend. I've personally heard about or witnessed violent attacks on gay people and women who have sought abortion and there is extra security at many labs that do stem cell research, but I personally have never been attacked by a muslim for not being muslim.
    I'm sorry about your experiences, but anecdotal evidence is just that, and this particular anecdotal evidence does not address what you quoted.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Secondly, as someone who's known four Muslims and met several more, that seems far from the truth to me in my personal experience. They've all been the equivalent of either a liberal or a moderate Christian.
    Thank you for the anecdote, it closely matches my own experience with Muslims; its also irrelevant.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    First of all, you can't conclude that from your observation that one particular religious offence evokes threats from Muslims and not Christians in the USA. Other religious offences do evoke threats, threatening behaviour and actual violence from some Christians in the USA.
    Yes...just a proportionally low amount, as illustrated by my South Park example.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Meditate upon this insight and apply it to understanding what I've already posted.
    If you're confident in your argument, try explaining it instead.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm sorry about your experiences, but anecdotal evidence is just that, and this particular anecdotal evidence does not address what you quoted.
    yes in fact it does. you seem to think there is a low chance of someone in this country being terrorized by a christian fundamentalist and I'm telling you that while I know very few people that have actually been a part of a muslim terrorist attack I know plenty of people that have been harassed or subjected to violence by someone who identified themselves as a christian fundamentalist.

you can chose to make this about emotion but it isn't. I've simply counted it up. I had a friend with endometriosis get refused the morning after pill to help with her condition (not to have an abortion) by a pharmacist in the midwest. In front of everyone while she was standing there bleeding holding her doctor's note the guy told her that he was morally against abortion and wouldn't give her the pills. She called me crying about that. That same friend finally got pregnant after years of trying and ended up having her pregnancy go very bad during the 8th month, still living in the same shitty place some doctor refused to give her an abortion and she had to carry the baby to term even after it died, she was extremely ill the entire time and now thanks to him she can never have children. Not to mention the fundamentalist christian university that was against interracial dating among it's students and actually expelled them up until 2000 when the rule was overturned. - Bob Jones University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've had multiple gay friends get harassed, beaten, fired, or repressed by a fundamental christian... but if you walk down the street in places outside of NY and start asking people if they've ever been involved in a muslim related terrorist attack or witnessed one most of them will say no. If you walk down the street and ask women if they take birth control and expect their pharmacist to dispense it, or a gay person if they've been discriminated against or threatened, or a biology student if they want to quote creationism whilst trying to research genetics - I think the number of people feeling terrorized by an increase in attempts to legislate fundamentalist christian beliefs will be higher than those feeling personally terrorized by muslim fundamentalist.