User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post

I don't think the crazies responsible for these murders got the no violence from the fundamental christians allowed memo.

The point is making a cartoon against a christian figure is considered a joke. For a muslim I believe that depicting mohammed is an actual sin, sort of the way christians view abortion and that might have something to do with why the fundamentalists are so politically charged about it.

Violate one of the christian god's laws like say (have an abortion or be gay or do stem cell research) and you too might find yourself the recipient of death threats.
    1.) Those crazies are also deemed to be an extremely unlikely threat in relation to Islamic militants, despite the fact that Christians outnumber Muslims by about 150 to 1 in the United States.

2.) Christians believe taking the Lord's name in vain to be an actual sin, that would be considered a much more apt comparison by reasonable people.

3.) South Park has already covered those issues without concern by Comedy Central executives that extremist Christians will constitute a security threat to their workers and property.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    :rolli:

And yet its amazing how, in a country with hundreds of millions of Christians, Comedy Central executives are not afraid to feature a cartoon in which Jesus Christ literally shits on the American flag, and yet they are scared shit-less (pun intended) about showing Mohammed in a fucking bear-suit.
    What on Earth does that have to do with my point? Read my post again. I was saying that Islam encompasses wildly different interpretations of its holy texts, as does Judaism, as does Christianity. The fact that something is in a group's book, doesn't mean they'll believe it, it just means that a minority probably will. Yes it so happens that one of the things in the Koran is an order to not depict Mohammad with images, and that happens not to be in the Bible. So it's one less thing for Christians to be 'extremist' about that some Muslims will be. That really has nothing to do with the point I was making.

MBTI
    INTP

I think there is some serious depth missing from why these fundamentalists are issuing death threats over a cartoon which some people are using to put forth the ridiculous idea that christian fundamentalists are somehow better and less violent than muslim ones - when the fact of the matter is they're not.
    Christian fundamentalist generally believe in freedom of religion and freedom of speech, and to the general separation of church and state. Islamists don't. There is a much larger proportion of Muslims who seek to impose Shariah law than there are Christians who seek to impose their own divine laws.

MBTI
    INTJ

1.) Those crazies are also deemed to be an extremely unlikely threat in relation to Islamic militants, despite the fact that Christians outnumber Muslims by about 150 to 1 in the United States.

2.) Christians believe taking the Lord's name in vain to be an actual sin, that would be considered a much more apt comparison by reasonable people.

3.) South Park has already covered those issues without concern by Comedy Central executives that extremist Christians will constitute a security threat to their workers and property.
    but you see that's the point fundamentalists aren't reasonable. since when is christian synonymous with fundamentalist christian?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

personally I would have titled it douchebag gets what he's asking for :rolli:

seriously... what does he expect that people will do when he goes around making inflamatory cartoons? for people to hand him flowers?!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

Christian fundamentalist generally believe in freedom of religion and freedom of speech, and to the general separation of church and state. Islamists don't. There is a much larger proportion of Muslims who seek to impose Shariah law than there are Christians who seek to impose their own divine laws.
    What? Are you kidding me? So nobody ever tried to sensor a biology textbook or place the 10 commandments in the state capital or push gay politicians out of government and the list goes on? You really think that? Sigh... well I can't reason with hear no evil, speak no evil, and see no evil - no matter how much I try.

edit: as well as what Whatever said

Is it wrong to give death threats? In my opinion, yes no matter what the person has done, but should you be shocked if you get death threats after doing something controversial given the high level of crazies in this and other countries, probably not...

I wonder what would happen to me if I walked into a church with a T-shirt saying I'm pro-choice, my best friend is gay, and I support stem cell research...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    I was saying that Islam encompasses wildly different interpretations of its hold texts, as does Judaism, as does Christianity. The fact that something is in a group's book, doesn't mean they'll believe it, it just means that a minority probably will.
    And my (rather obvious) point is that a larger proportion of contemporary Muslims, particularly among the religiously observant population, have an illiberal interpretation of their religious texts than is the case with other religious groups.

Sniffles

This hysteria over fundamentalism gets more silly everyday. Christian fundamentalists can't even get abortion outlawed, yet somehow they're taking over America! :rolli:

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    This hysteria over fundamentalism gets more silly everyday. Christian fundamentalists can't even get abortion outlawed, yet somehow they're taking over America! :rolli:
    well, they have several channels on network tv devoted to them here... I think that those channels could be much better used for something entertaining!

I personally think that people should just leave each other alone as far as religion goes, and anyone who goes poking around in someone else's business and such probably deserves to get slapped or so
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

but you see that's the point fundamentalists aren't reasonable. since when is christian synonymous with fundamentalist christian?
    Fundamentalist believe in the literal interpretation of their religious texts. Most self-identified "fundamentalist" Christian sects hold beliefs that are compatible with liberal democracy, such as the fact that you don't make secular laws against things like blasphemy and apostasy.

Most fundamentalist Christians I've met are a lot more reasonable than you appear to be.