User Tag List

123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default Political dread.

I increasingly worried that I'm witnessing the unfolding of the end of industrial civilization.

There are no conspiracies involved, just people being stupid.

It's become painful to read about politics. Anytime I read the news from some important country* and find that some political party which supports policies that will either not address, or actually accelerate the major crises luming over the human race (fossil fuel depletion, climate change, etc..), have won or are about to win... That feeling of dread fills me.

I'm not going to mince words here, I'm despairing. Anger is fading away, and just being replaced with helplessness, and that sense of dread.

I suppose this thread could have fit just as well in the philosophy forum, because this is getting quite existential, and it's also a bit personal. The end of the world as you know it, well you know it's a thought that kind of brings you down, and it's getting harder from me to avoid thinking about it. I think it's contributing to my state of depression (or is anxiety, or is it really depersonalization?) equally much as my personal/private frustations are. And that's only because of a self-centered bias, as rationally the end of modern civilization and the death of billions of people should depress me a lot more than those things.

I find a lot of Republicans and Democrats in this country treating American politics like football. I see something similar happening in Britain, it would seem. It starts to seem like everyone has forgotten that political matters are fundamentally important things.

But I have no solutions. I have no solutions.

Politics use to be one of my favorite subjects. It's keeping me from enjoying my life now. I don't know how to deal with that, though.

It's funny that I tell myself that if I ignore politics, it would be irresponsible, because then I would be negligent like so many of the idiots I criticize. But then drawing from what I've said, exactly what responsility do I have? Responsibility implies I can do something important. It may just be an old delusion dying hard, I don't know.

I guess everyone's must pass eventually, so why fear losses that will happen in a hundred years more than ones that happen in a trillion years? Both are beyond my life time. But isn't just sad that reading about Republican popular support, or a Conservative majority, would even make me think something like that?

*Important country meaning a larger population, a lot of wealth, and major political influence.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I increasingly worried that I'm witnessing the unfolding of the end of industrial civilization.
    It's quite possible. No use in worrying, however. If you were seriously concerned, you'd quit worrying and begin preparing.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It's quite possible. No use in worrying, however. If you were seriously concerned, you'd quit worrying and begin preparing.
    "Alas, Babylon," here we come! We have plenty of Kudzu and huge friggin' cockroaches in Georgia, so if the shit hits the fan we should be better situated* than most.

*except that the living will envy the dead.

Maybe you will find this article an interesting read, Magic.

Imagine a future in which millions of families live off the grid, powering their homes and vehicles with dirt-cheap portable fuel cells. As industrial agriculture sputters under the strain of the spiraling costs of water, gasoline and fertilizer, networks of farmers using sophisticated techniques that combine cutting-edge green technologies with ancient Mayan know-how build an alternative food-distribution system. Faced with the burden of financing the decades-long retirement of aging boomers, many of the young embrace a new underground economy, a largely untaxed archipelago of communes, co-ops, and kibbutzim that passively resist the power of the granny state while building their own little utopias.

Rather than warehouse their children in factory schools invented to instill obedience in the future mill workers of America, bourgeois rebels will educate their kids in virtual schools tailored to different learning styles. Whereas only 1.5 million children were homeschooled in 2007, we can expect the number to explode in future years as distance education blows past the traditional variety in cost and quality. The cultural battle lines of our time, with red America pitted against blue, will be scrambled as Buddhist vegan militia members and evangelical anarchist squatters trade tips on how to build self-sufficient vertical farms from scrap-heap materials. To avoid the tax man, dozens if not hundreds of strongly encrypted digital currencies and barter schemes will crop up, leaving an underresourced IRS to play whack-a-mole with savvy libertarian "hacktivists."
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    There is no point in preparing. If it happens, eveything I know is gone. It's like dying, except there's trauma, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Maybe you will find this article an interesting read, Magic.
    Actually creating an effective society that does not depend on fossil fuels would require the sort of organization and industry I doubt such a movement could muster, especially considering the speed with which they'd have to pull it off. Time is running out, and we unfortunately depend on fossil fuels to establish the use of advanced alternative energy sources. That means that if we let fossil fuels peak on us before we've put those other energy sources in place, our last chance is gone.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

There are no conspiracies involved, just people being stupid.
    This made me lol.

People have been stupid for millennia, and will go on being stupid long after we've gone. Let it go, bro.

Get a GF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUuYkMHV4w"]"Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die"[/YOUTUBE]

I dunno... I think human beings are so much more resilient than you're giving them credit for. If there is some sort of running-out-of-fuel/global warming event the way people are predictiong, well... maybe we wouldn't be able to have ipods and all that type of stuff, but I think the human race would adapt and survive in some form. It would be different, and maybe worse in some ways, but we'd rebuild. That's the nature of life. To respond and adapt, don't you think?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I never said the human race would go extinct.

We will survive, but we'll take a big nose dive, and when we climb back out, we'll climb into the 1650s and be stuck there for the rest of our existence.

I don't know, maybe that's not so bad. It doesn't sound great to me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFJ

There is no point in preparing. If it happens, eveything I know is gone. It's like dying, except there's trauma, too.
    Then kill yourself.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

as I've bitched while trying to register voters... "where's the f$%^ing passion?!"

I vote and stay informed and it doesn't seem to really matter with the options I'm given

Of course, I don't think quite as much about future consequences as you do, so I get away with walking out of the polling location and viciously kicking a trash can to cheer up!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett