User Tag List

123 Last

Default Equality Vs. Inequality

Do you agree or disagree with this statement? :-

In so far as the least privileged in an inequitable society are more prosperous than the least privileged in an equitable society the inequitable society is superior to the equitable one.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

In so far as the least privileged in an inequitable society are more prosperous than the least privileged in an equitable society the inequitable society is superior to the equitable one.

I guess that depends on what you mean by prosperous. If you're talking about being wealthy, then the answer is definitely no. We can not inherently assume the one is better than the other.

Inequality of wealth is just a short step away from inequality of everything else, information, health, noteriety... ultimately power. And such power brings with it a greater ability to attain still more power. Inequality can turn into an extremely grave problem as it results in the errosion of any just or consistent system of law and government.

So, to know which society is better, you'd need details on how propesperous and how inequitable these two are.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

No no no, not at all. Period.

Proof: There is fabulous wealth in Saudi Arabia. You could not pay me enough to live there, however.

I meant prosperity in its most basic, simple definition as the opposite of material poverty or destitution.

If the poorest in the most inequitable society are "better off" than the poorest of an equitable society, all other things being equal and no extrenuous variables, is the inequitable society superior?

If not why not?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

No. The fact the least privileged are more privileged in the unequal society makes it inferior. Oppressing the poor FTW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I meant prosperity in its most basic, simple definition as the opposite of material poverty or destitution.

If the poorest in the most inequitable society are "better off" than the poorest of an equitable society, all other things being equal and no extrenuous variables, is the inequitable society superior?

If not why not?
    Well, if they are better off, then of course the society is better. That becomes almost tautological.

As a matter of cause and effect though, inequality is undesirable in that it brings about indesirable social outcomes, for the reasons I mentioned in my first post.

Something I also didn't mention in my first post (because it is only tangentially related to the OP) is that another crappy thing about inequality is that is means money is not benefiting as many people as it should. If two societies are equally rich, the one that is more equal is certainly better.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

I think you need to start by defining your terms. What do you mean by 'equitable'? Equality of opportunity? Equality of wealth? Equality under law?

Singapore is an example of a society that is largely 'equitable' in that all its citizens are equally under the boot of an authoritarian government. However, Singaporeans have a pretty good standard of living. Myself, I wouldn't live there... wouldn't have anything to do with it.

So I think your definitions need a little work before we can really address your question.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

If not why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

What is it about Japan? It's always healthier than its social indicators would lead you to believe.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    (inequality graph)
    Oh... a graphic from EqualityTrust.org. Thanks for sharing.