First 234

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Excess? Is that how you view a country with higher population?

And what's that hacking attack got to do with the country's population? If China had less people, would that mean murderers won't be there?
    a) .... b)
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    But why rampages against children?

Guy gets fired, shoots up his workplace. I understand the target there.
    Not that many guns available.

But a highly relationship oriented culture.

Warped by the severe-to-lethal self-mutilation that culture inflicted on itself over the last fifty years creating not only a culture of desperation but an actual historical condition of desperation. And a current severe lack of actually functioning formal institutions. What is currently called "corruption" would be an actually normally functioning and even functional Chinese society if everything else were orderly and stable.

It's sort of not outrageous to kill people in China. But to kill children is to strike not just at the weak but at hope. People sort of don't have hopes for themselves. They funnel their hopes into things outside themselves, other people usually, and especially into children. Those who are working for themselves never say they are working for themselves; they're always doing it for their parents or for their families. To actually admit self interest is unusual.

I dunno, I'm just making it up, but what value is there in shooting up your workplace in a country where industrial accidents are sort of de rigeur? They strike at children because children are currency. Nothing else can be relied upon. Nothing else expresses anything.

Maybe.

I'm actually wondering what's going to start coming to light should China ever decide to become aware of how much or how little serial murder goes on there.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Excess? Is that how you view a country with higher population?

And what's that hacking attack got to do with the country's population? If China had less people, would that mean murderers won't be there?
    Excess male population.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Excess male population.
    Yeah! And if we don't get laid once in a while, we get decidedly... twitchy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Keep in mind that similar things happen elsewhere, but if yeu compare say... canada... with about 30ish million people... to china... with over 1 billion... there's going to be a bit of a disparity on the number of occurrences per year.

There's terrible crap that happens all over the world, not just china. They're in a bad position globally right now though, so people are more focused on their flaws than usual, making random crimes that aren't even related seem to stand out.

Now, that being said, there are some factors related to the culture which may make it more likely to occur, but that's a toss up since we're not sure the specifics of each case and the lead up to such that would verify which factors were consistent.

Think people are jumping a bit too hard on the 'zomg china' thing though. If a single case such as this happened in canada in 4.5 years... it would be on par with 7 in china in one year.

That and there's always copycat killers to keep in mind... once a social taboo breaks, someone else gets the idea that they can get fame for going out with a 'bang' themselves... happens far too often with serial killers and stuff like this.

Think back to columbine, and how many cases occurred right after that. They probably said the same thing about the states back then that yeu're saying now.

Oberon

In Africa, men, women, and children are murdered every day. We don't hear about it because it's so common it's not considered newsworthy.