What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Interesting. I reviewed these as well:

Male Circumcision and Risk for HIV Transmission: Implications for the United States | Factsheets | CDC HIV/AIDS

Several types of research have documented that male circumcision significantly reduces the risk of HIV acquisition by men during penile-vaginal sex. [...] Compared with the dry external skin surface, the inner mucosa of the foreskin has less keratinization (deposition of fibrous protein), a higher density of target cells for HIV infection (Langerhans cells), and is more susceptible to HIV infection than other penile tissue in laboratory studies [2]. The foreskin may also have greater susceptibility to traumatic epithelial disruptions (tears) during intercourse, providing a portal of entry for pathogens, including HIV [3]. In addition, the microenvironment in the preputial sac between the unretracted foreskin and the glans penis may be conducive to viral survival [1]. Finally, the higher rates of sexually transmitted genital ulcerative disease, such as syphilis, observed in uncircumcised men may also increase susceptibility to HIV infection [4].[...]
    HIV

Infection with HIV occurs by the transfer of blood, semen, vaginal fluid, pre-ejaculate, or breast milk. Within these bodily fluids, HIV is present as both free virus particles and virus within infected immune cells. The four major routes of transmission are unsafe sex, contaminated needles, breast milk, and transmission from an infected mother to her baby at birth (vertical transmission).[...]
    The majority of HIV infections are acquired through unprotected sexual relations.[...]The correct and consistent use of latex condoms reduces the risk of sexual transmission of HIV by about 85%.[...]
    AIDS Prevention - STD Prevention - HIV Prevention - AIDS Prevention

"Condoms are effective in preventing HIV and other STDs."[...]The correct and consistent use of latex condoms during sexual intercourse- vaginal, anal, or oral-can greatly reduce a person’ s risk[...]Laboratory studies show that latex condoms are effective barriers to HIV and other STDs. In addition, several studies provide compelling evidence that latex condoms are highly effective in AIDS prevention when used for every act of intercourse. This protection is most evident in studies of serodiscordant couples; those couples with one positive and one negative partner.[etc...]
    Here's my solution to this epidemic:

Both are far more reasonable.

-----

Also, I would like to mention, the primary root reason as to why this epidemic is going on in sub-saharan Africa, is really it's socio-economic inabilty. MGM, seems to me in this situation, a desperate measure to help curb this insanity. Secondly, most of these surgeries are consentual; I know you know that, but I just wanted to mention it.

Interesting stuff. Although, I am confused as to how MGM lowers the ratio so much when the urethra, instead of the foreskin, is still accessible by the HIV.

That seems... Elegant.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Here's my solution to this epidemic:
    Now you just have to convince the male population in undeveloped countries to wear condoms; good luck with that-people have been trying for a long time.

I don't disagree that MGM is ultimately undesirable and that its health benefits can be substituted with simple hygiene and safety measures, but:

1.) It would be very, very difficult to convince people who have consistently and strongly believed that MGM is a religious requirement to give up the practice.

2.) The above effort would very likely inhibit progress in other areas.

3) The negative affects of MGM pale in comparison to FGM, as well as other issues.

4.) Consequently, there are bigger fish to fry and MGM is too far down on the list of priorities to consider bothering with. In the meantime, it has actual health benefits for people who are statistically unlikely to wear a condom (availability is not the primary reason for this).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Now you just have to convince the male population in undeveloped countries to wear condoms; good luck with that-people have been trying for a long time.
    Yes, I took the time to understand why these people are not using condoms and I found the solution here:

HIV/AIDS in Africa

Several factors contribute to the spread of HIV. For one, a stigma is attached to admitting to HIV infection and to using condoms. As well, many deny that HIV causes AIDS. Thabo Mbeki, former President of South Africa, and Robert Mugabe, current President of Zimbabwe, have both suggested AIDS stems from poverty rather than HIV infection. And finally, many myths are attached to the use of condoms, such as the ideas that a conspiracy wants to limit the growth of the African population and that condoms stifle the traditional power of the man in his community.
    Secondly, it's economic situation:

Natural disasters and conflict are also a major challenge, as the resulting economic problems people face can drive many young women and girls into patterns of sex work in order to ensure their livelihood or that of their family, or else to obtain safe passage, food, shelter or other resources [3]. Emergencies can also lead to new patterns of sex work, for instance, in Mozambique the influx of humanitarian workers and transporters, such as truck drivers, can cause sex workers to move to the area[4]. In northern Kenya, for instance, drought has led to a decrease in clients for sex workers and the result is sex workers are less able to resist clients' refusal to wear condoms
    This portion of Africa is an infantile country, that is why I think it best to educate them alongside condom use. Of course, HIV is a massive 'cock-block' to all sorts of progress; they have been digging their graves for a while now.

I don't disagree that MGM is ultimately undesirable and that its health benefits can be substituted with simple hygiene and safety measures, but:

1.) It would be very, very difficult to convince people who have consistently and strongly believed that MGM is a religious requirement to give up the practice.
    I agree. I wonder if it was/is the same for FGM...

2.) The above effort would very likely inhibit progress in other areas.
    How so?

3) The negative affects of MGM pale in comparison to FGM, as well as other issues.
    Yes, but we can't place everything on the back-burner just because it is less-than or not as important, to someone else.

4.) Consequently, there are bigger fish to fry and MGM is too far down on the list of priorities to consider bothering with. *In the meantime, it has actual health benefits for people who are statistically unlikely to wear a condom (availability is not the primary reason for this).
    *facepalm*

Dear god, these people seriously need to get their act together and stop fucking like sex-starved rabbits from hell.

Also, MGM might be a required evil in this case.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

I agree. I wonder if it was/is the same for FGM...

How so?
    1.) Not within Islam (the only major religion-in terms of population-that requires MGM). FGM is related to more traditional practices (which might sometimes have a religious basis, but particularist local religions are rapidly losing out to universalist religions-namely Christianity and Islam-within Africa).

2.) Backlash and opportunity costs.

MBTI
    INTP

Also, MGM might be a required evil in this case.
    Heh. The decreased sensitivity of the nerves is not strong enough to make sex significantly less attractive a prospect.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Heh. The decreased sensitivity of the nerves is not strong enough to make sex significantly less attractive a prospect.
    Haha! That's hilarious. No, I didn't mean it like that.

I mean, as a supplement in the combat against HIV, as based on the statistics and scientific findings.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

"A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI