First 123 Last

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

That made me want run for the hills to protect myself. *winces*
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

I once worked with a Islamic women from Somolia who told me she had two incision on the pubis mons. Her parents were educated and only did this because of pressure from her community in Somolia. She also said that she would not do this 'nicking' to her future girl children. 'Nicking' may be the imperfect solution but with education and time such procedure would be eliminated especially if the culture or country does not support this procedure.

My husband felt very strongly against ear pericing our girls as well we did not circumsize our son.
    Last edited by countrygirl; 05-12-2010 at 07:43 AM.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Wowwowowow, I saw this thread in my new posts list and after having just glanced at it, I thought it said 'The smell of female genital mutilation'
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    If a "nick" is mutilation what does that make lopping off the whole foreskin on a boy?
    It makes it moderate mutilation with a plausible health benefit (at high price for the non-consenting baby) that is NOT directly associated with cutting off most of the boy's actual penis, which is the female equivalent of the practice which would effectively be maintained longer through this misguided policy, which lends de-facto cover and legitimacy to the practice.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

And yet circumcision is still perfectly fine. Even though it's far more noticible genital mutilation, which's only carried out due to tradition, myth, and religion.

It has no medical benefits, and about the only "useful" thing it does is desensitizes the male bits so that they don't get as much pleasure out of sex. Which's kinda bad for them really, but good for their partner I suppose.

All other benefits, such as the belief that it makes it 'cleaner' are just myths and aren't actually true.

So why do we allow this but go ZOMG A CLIT PIERCING YEU PEOPLE ARE INSANE!!!!!!!11!1!eleven

Oh right, because we're not used to that. Which's why it'd be a bad idea to compromise here... consider that if they do allow such though, it's setting a precedent for other such cases as circumcisions though, that may be used as such.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post

It has no medical benefits,
    Wrong, the health benefits are simply minor (in developed countries) and (IMO) not worth the cost. In developing countries, circumcision is probably a greater health benefit, as it seems to cut down on STD transmissions.

Bottom line, though, is that its best to separate the two as unlike customs; FGM is much, much worse and not nearly as recognized as an explicit religious obligation for a huge number of people. I'll choose to pick my battles, on this one.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Wrong, the health benefits are simply minor (in developed countries) and (IMO) not worth the cost. In developing countries, circumcision is probably a greater health benefit, as it seems to cut down on STD transmissions.
    Orly? Sounds scientific.

Bottom line, though, is that its best to separate the two as unlike customs; FGM is much, much worse and not nearly as recognized as an explicit religious obligation for a huge number of people. I'll choose to pick my battles, on this one.
    Bottom line, though, both are cultural and involve mutilation; I see no difference between the two.

INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Orly? Sounds scientific.

Bottom line, though, both are cultural and involve mutilation; I see no difference between the two.

1.) Its difficult to ethically test causation, but the correlation is there, and there is apparently a plausible theory in support of causation (as well as a plausible theory as to why correlation does not indicate causation in this instance).

2.) Would you consider having your fingernails removed the equivalent of having your arm removed? Its a difference of degree and affect.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    1.) Its difficult to ethically test causation, but the correlation is there, and there is apparently a plausible theory in support of causation (as well as a plausible theory as to why correlation does not indicate causation in this instance).
    Do you have any reading material or legitimate statistics on this subject that I can view?

2.) Would you consider having your fingernails removed the equivalent of having your arm removed? Its a difference of degree and affect.

I will answer it anyways. -- Yes, I would consider them equals if they had been removed without my consent. The difference in consequence and the peice removed in each surgery matters very little, that is, if it was not permitted. In fact, I would sue the imbecile that did that without my permission.

Are we going to compare rape to murder next?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Do you have any reading material or legitimate statistics on this subject that I can view?
    Here's a good place to start: Circumcision Studied in Africa as AIDS Preventive - New York Times