123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Default Why is 18 the 'adult' age?

I've always wondered about this. Who actually set that when a person becomes 18 (in other countries 21), they're an adult? Is it proven by science (as in study of the mind development)?

I mean I know many adults who act really immature (Eg, drink driving, etc.), while some children are mature, responsible, and can take care of themselves.

So A few questions..

1) Why do you think 18(or 21) is the 'adult' age?

2) What's the evidence? If you have any.

3) What do you think should be adjusted? If you have any once again.

Waiting to hear your views...

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Interesting question. If you talk about mind develoment, the brain end his maturation at the age of 25, but the most part of the work is done at 22. Between 22 and 25, there's minor growth, then, the brain is matured and you are definetely once and for all an adult. The period where the brain mature by the multiplication of connections the fastest is from 13 to 21, it is the period that, I guess, we could call "the adolescence". The origin of the word adolescence is the latin word "adolescere", wich means "grow up".

My opinion is that a 18 years old person or even a 21 years old person still an adolescent but that society consider they they have matured enough to assume adult responsabilities. The fact that the maturation is'nt over does'nt mean that they are immature. Adults continue to mature too, but if there's an improvement of their brain, there's not a growth of their brain, connections are renewed but not multiplied.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

People are usually fully physically mature at 18.
    I'm thinking it's largely based upon physical maturity.

I agree with what Speed Gavorache said.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

It is because it is Jr. get back to school or stacking shelves in the kwiki mart!

*Just Kidding*

Because someone said so.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I believe it is just a holdover from Western history that hasn't caused enough problems to motivate changing it.

If you want to know why, historically, it is eighteen (or whatever), it could take some research. I googled 'age of majority' and found a little bit of stuff. Most convincing to me was this partial article (don't want to pay, so I'm not getting the whole thing.

Best guess is that it is when a person was physically strong enough to look after and support themselves. I'd also guess it might also have to do with the way trade guilds normally promoted an apprentice to journeyman status, but like I said, it's just a guess.

Wiki shows that in the majority of countries, the age of majority is 18.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Hmmm, I think it should be 25, just looking upon my life retrospectively. I was a serious dumbass up until then, but then I think I would have killed myself if I couldn't have left home either (I left home at 17, a couple of months before my 18th B'day). Maybe training wheels from 18-25?
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    If you talk about mind develoment, the brain end his maturation at the age of 25, but the most part of the work is done at 22. Between 22 and 25, there's minor growth, then, the brain is matured and you are definetely once and for all an adult. The period where the brain mature by the multiplication of connections the fastest is from 13 to 21, it is the period that, I guess, we could call "the adolescence". The origin of the word adolescence is the latin word "adolescere", which means "grow up".
    Sure, the human brain is fully grown about the age of 22. So the age of majority should be 22.

Most adolescents think they know everything when it is obvious they don't. And most motor vehicle accidents are caused by adolescents. And most binge drinking and drug taking is done by adolescents. And almost all teenage pregnancies are cause by adolescents. And most assaults are caused by adolescents.

And most adolescents are dependent financially and emotionally on their parents. So the age of majority should be raised from 18 to 22.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

but that's the number the man said is the brink of adulthood.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    but that's the number the man said is the brink of adulthood.
    I think 25 is a big ask. And 22 seems a reasonable compromise.