User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Who proposed deregulation? Not me. I think we should have smart cops and plenty of 'em at the corporate level. I'd also like to see the re-enactment of the Glass-Steagall Act. I think the dismantling of major regulatory structures in the 80's and 90's is one of the many things that led us to the current shithole we're in.
    Deregulation is a bad word right now, but that will change. When the economy is running well again, the cries for deregulation will be heard once more.

Unfortunately, the smart cops end up working for Wall Street.

...but that doesn't mean we should ditch Capitalism as an economic model. Communism does no better at protecting the little guy when it's led by the amoral.
    Huh? Communism?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Huh? Communism?
    Yes, it's an economic system, just as Capitalism is. Perhaps you've heard of it?

What I'm trying to say is that if you've got thieves running the show, your economic model is irrelevant.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yes, it's an economic system, just as Capitalism is. Perhaps you've heard of it?

What I'm trying to say is that if you've got thieves running the show, your economic model is irrelevant.
    Thieves are running the show more often than not. Do you disagree with this statement?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

Thieves are running the show more often than not. Do you disagree with this statement?
    No, not at all.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

No, not at all.
    Then why do you care about the economic system when thieves are running it most of the time, making it irrelevant?

Oberon

Then why do you care about the economic system when thieves are running it most of the time, making it irrelevant?
    Because I was responding to this statement by YLJ:

This is proof that the capitalist society doesn't work, it's downright evil, bad for people, bad for cooperation and last but not least: it's unstable.
    That's why there are crises all over the place all the time.
    Because of greed, mistakes by people playing with way too much money that has got nothing to do in reality with producing anything.
    Buying and selling stock is in itself worth nothing to anyone in terms of production and actual gain.
    It's just part of the game we play, growing as a parasite on the back of the workers who actually contribute to society with products or services.
    YLJ seems to think that capitalism is the problem. I was taking the opportunity to disagree.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Because I was responding to this statement by YLJ:

YLJ seems to think that capitalism is the problem. I was taking the opportunity to disagree.
    But you have expressed this opinion in many other threads.

Oberon

But you have expressed this opinion in many other threads.
    Is there a reason why you feel it necessary to insert yourself into an exchange between myself and YLJ, exactly?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There are more possibilities in socio-economics than capitalism or communism. It probably doesn't make much sense to assign this things as precise states of existence anyhow.

Is there a reason why you feel it necessary to insert yourself into an exchange between myself and YLJ, exactly?
    I'd take a wild guess that it has something to do with your exchange not being done on walls or by PM. Here you are posting in a public thread, which I'll note neither of you even started. I don't see why you should be in wonder if someone should happen to respond to what you were saying.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'd take a wild guess that it has something to do with your exchange not being done on walls or by PM. Here you are posting in a public thread, which I'll note neither of you even started. I don't see why you should be in wonder if someone should happen to respond to what you were saying.
    Fair enough.

I would reply, then, that my statement reflects the honest belief that ethics are more important than economic models if you're trying to keep an economy stable.

It just works better when people aren't colluding to rip other people off. This is true regardless of the economic model you're using... rip-offs aren't unique to capitalism, as YLJ would seem to be saying.