User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Times Square

  1. #11
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Has anybody noticed that the only thing stopping these guys trained in Pakistan is their own incompetence? I mean, seriously?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #12
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Ressentiment

    Our biggest danger is those who hate themselves and hate their own society.

    This is called, ressentiment.

    "Ressentiment", is also the name of Max Scheler's (1874-1928) book published in 1913.

    This is a remarkably fertile idea adopted by many of the great philosophers.

    My copy of, "Ressentiment", has a picture on the cover of Germans in the bus in the 1930s. And there is ressentiment written all over their faces.

    Unfortunately our lethal enemies will use our ressentiment against us, as we see so clearly here today.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    Fair enough, but do you acknowledge there is a moral difference between targeting combatants, political leaders, and.or industry/infrastructure (even if civilians are killed as collateral damage), and targeting civilians with the goal of killing as many non-combatants as possible?

    Keep in mind you are speaking to a critic of American imperialism.
    What I acknowledge is that such activity is incredibly profitable for a certain circle of influence. I am also aware there is an incredible disconnect between the concept of "targeting" and the actual effectiveness of the weapons systems in accomplishing the stated goals. These are not precision strikes, and over 95 percent of the body count is always "collateral damage."

    The question becomes is it "moral" to continue to maintain the illusion?

    I think both parties are reprehensible. Essentially, Darwin Awards waiting to happen.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Our biggest danger is those who hate themselves and hate their own society.

    This is called, ressentiment.

    "Ressentiment", is also the name of Max Scheler's (1874-1928) book published in 1913.

    This is a remarkably fertile idea adopted by many of the great philosophers.

    My copy of, "Ressentiment", has a picture on the cover of Germans in the bus in the 1930s. And there is ressentiment written all over their faces.

    Unfortunately our lethal enemies will use our ressentiment against us, as we see so clearly here today.
    You'd make the perfect citizen for a totalitarian society. Granted all the G8 nations are racing to win that race. Australia, the UK, the US, etc. have over the last decade succeeded in turning themselves into complete and utter anti-democratic shit holes.

    Due to the passive cheerleading of non-thinking idiots like you.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    What I acknowledge is that such activity is incredibly profitable for a certain circle of influence. I am also aware there is an incredible disconnect between the concept of "targeting" and the actual effectiveness of the weapons systems in accomplishing the stated goals. These are not precision strikes, and over 95 percent of the body count is always "collateral damage."

    The question becomes is it "moral" to continue to maintain the illusion?

    I think both parties are reprehensible. Essentially, Darwin Awards waiting to happen.
    1. That didn't even attempt to answer the question I posed.

    2. Please demonstrate that "over 95 percent of the body count is always collateral damage". I suspect you pulled that figure straight outta yer ass.

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Our biggest danger is those who hate themselves and hate their own society.

    This is called, ressentiment.

    "Ressentiment", is also the name of Max Scheler's (1874-1928) book published in 1913.

    This is a remarkably fertile idea adopted by many of the great philosophers.

    My copy of, "Ressentiment", has a picture on the cover of Germans in the bus in the 1930s. And there is ressentiment written all over their faces.

    Unfortunately our lethal enemies will use our ressentiment against us, as we see so clearly here today.
    What the fuck are you talking about? You sound like a neocon culture warrior on an acid trip.

  6. #16
    Senior Member eagleseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Has anybody noticed that the only thing stopping these guys trained in Pakistan is their own incompetence? I mean, seriously?
    Yep.

    It makes you wonder how many cells blew themselves up practicing for 9/11.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    [QUOTE=Just Some Guy;1151197]1. That didn't even attempt to answer the question I posed.

    2. Please demonstrate that "over 95 percent of the body count is always collateral damage". I suspect you pulled that figure straight outta yer ass.

    [QUOTE]

    http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf

    Here's a 125 Page document written by the US Air Force as a study for Military education. Specifically on the topic of collateral damage. How problematic and often negligent the US Military is in it's prevention.

    Your question proposed an apples to oranges comparison, when an apples to apples consideration is both more accurate and appropriate.

  8. #18
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Hey Vic you do realize this guy was only a naturalized citizen for about a year right? You keep talking about him turning against his people, seriously...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Similar Threads

  1. Nature is Round, and Humans are Square
    By Haight in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 10:12 PM
  2. Timing is everything?
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
  3. Inappropriately timed sadness
    By rivercrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 08:55 AM
  4. It's about damn time!
    By Rajah in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO