User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 96

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Not necessarily. Out of all the Republican candidates, Ron Paul is my favorite. If it were between him and Obama, then I would be hard pressed to choose. I would probably choose him over Hilary. But like I said, it's how doggedly any of them follows there ideology that turns me off. Things get done in the middle and that is the way I vote.
    That's nice to know.

    I think compromise is essential.

    Still, that doesn't mean that we can't have consistency at the same time. I hate pork-barrels.

    I like to think I know the type of person I am electing to office, and what sort of changes will be made.

    When it is time for something different still, we can vote in someone else.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  2. #22

  3. #23

  4. #24

    Default

    A lot of the links on the blog are broken. Being brown and bearded myself, I find the racism accusations rather alarming. Are you sure this is not just muckraking?

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  5. #25
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    A lot of the links on the blog are broken. Being brown and bearded myself, I find the racism accusations rather alarming. Are you sure this is not just muckraking?
    A little online reading should answer that question for you. The Daily Kos is a leftist blog. It probably wouldn't say anything positive about any Republican candidate.

    Ron Paul has a lot of grassroots support, however, most of which has expressed itself in unconventional ways.

  6. #26
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Am I the only one?
    I would vote for him, if I could.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    A little online reading should answer that question for you. The Daily Kos is a leftist blog. It probably wouldn't say anything positive about any Republican candidate.

    Ron Paul has a lot of grassroots support, however, most of which has expressed itself in unconventional ways.
    Well, it turns out that a staffer (or someone) wrote those comments under his name. I am not sure what the resolution was in terms of direct firing, denouncing, etc.

    He says racism is a form of collectivsm, and I agree with that. It seems really hypocritical for someone to stand for liberty and individualism to be a racist.

    But it should be pretty easy for him to denounce making false comments about African Americans, etc.

    Not something enough to change my mind, but I will be on the look out to see if he is actually racist.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  8. #28
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    But it should be pretty easy for him to denounce making false comments about African Americans, etc.
    In politics, the best way to give an accusation legs is to denounce it.

  9. #29
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Social services yield some benefit to the country, it's true... but I strongly suspect that, over time, they provide the greatest benefit to the bureacracies that administer social services.
    Social services helped out my dad's side of the family a lot when one of my aunts got a rather rare degenerative brain disease and needed to spend a lot of time in rather expensive care homes. She'd been so bad with money throughout her life that she'd spent every dime of my grandmother's funeral money before the funeral and nearly lost her house because she "forgot" to ever pay taxes. My dad and uncle had to fish her out of trouble financially every time, so when she got her disease, both of her siblings would have gone broke paying for her if it wasn't for social service programs!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #30
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Social services helped out my dad's side of the family a lot when one of my aunts got a rather rare degenerative brain disease and needed to spend a lot of time in rather expensive care homes. She'd been so bad with money throughout her life that she'd spent every dime of my grandmother's funeral money before the funeral and nearly lost her house because she "forgot" to ever pay taxes. My dad and uncle had to fish her out of trouble financially every time, so when she got her disease, both of her siblings would have gone broke paying for her if it wasn't for social service programs!
    Ummm... so you're saying that it's a good thing the government was there to protect your aunt from her own incompetence, so your dad and uncle weren't obligated to do it?

    That's a great deal for your dad and uncle, but kind of a sucky one for the taxpayers. Just think... if your dad and uncle and your aunt didn't have to spend over a quarter of the year working just to support their tax burden... and given some reasonable tort reform to control the costs of medical care... taking care of your aunt's problems could have been handled without state intervention.

Similar Threads

  1. Many have failed to type me, will you be the one to succeed?
    By Doctor Business in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 09-25-2014, 08:18 PM
  2. Ron Paul opposes CISPA. Do you?
    By Rail Tracer in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM
  3. Would you be willing to work for an organisation that..
    By Octarine in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 11:03 AM
  4. [ISTJ] ISTJs, can you be the life of the party?
    By NewEra in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 06:43 AM
  5. media coverage of the tea parties Part 2, (the video they don't want you to see)
    By cogdecree in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 06:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO